Please introduce yourself!

Hi,

My name is Mikko. I’m a teacher from Finland and ran into some p2pu people at MozFest last weekend. They directed me at howto.p2pu.org and Github, where I am looking to build a course to teach Web Literacy to primary/elementary teachers. Will be needing technical help, probably. Likely. Certainly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @meeko count with me!

@amaciel Looking forward to it!

Hi, I’m John

I do quite a lot of stuff with Wikipedia, teaching people how to contribute to it, running workshops etc, interested in conservation and sustainability education and volunteer for WYSE International. I’m planning to build a course on P2PU about youth leadership.

1 Like

I am tellio from Kentucky. I am creating a metacourse on creating a community in a box. It is the result of failing rather incandescently in bringing Google + communities and Twitter to face-to-face and university online courses. I suspect that what I need is a little bit of gaming and a little bit of badging and whole lot of improv, adhoc, and fast prototyping. I cannot do this alone. You all are my folk. We will swim in the stream, up or down, doesn’t matter. Good to see so many fish in the school.

1 Like

Hello I am looking for new ways to share educational information about archaeology, anthropology, and biology. I am curious about this site.

That sounds as a good idea!

That sounds like a good idea John Cummings! Sari Salmi

@tellio I just watched this video… I am moved… Thank you!

So glad you liked it. Yes, I have seen it ten times and every time I am moved. I show it to my incoming freshmen composition students. It is a mixed feeling for them.

Terry

That is because they are young :smile:

2 Likes

Folks like you are the true backbone of the net. Good on ya. Now I know who to call on for all things wiki!

1 Like

My name is doug symington and I first encountered P2PU during #Rhizo14 with Dave Cormier and crew nearly a year ago now. I was directly involved in the community at http://EdTechTalk.com (again with Dave and others) for a number of years, and continue to be a great fan of “open” and “community-building” on the web.

I had the good fortune to attend #OpenEd14 in DC last week, and it has me checking out some of the many fantastic open resources available on the web, including P2PU–thanks for your continued good works, and I look forward to exploring more

Passion fueled is the course of your career path. Knowing and feeling “passion-fueled” applying to your multi-media projects, what are you making and learning?

Hello, I studied International Relations and use to read a lot of management books, currently I am in the Sales Operations as a back office employee for a computer corporation.

I recommend you use an existing resource, namely librarything. It already has a huge database of books indexed by subject and isbn. and it allows every member to create their own index keywords. So you could set up a standard format, say “p2pu- lang-subj-course-num”.

So, let’s say you have a book called “Dynamics of Kite Flying” and want to start a study group around it. You get the p2pu folks to let you create a course “Kites in Theory and Practice”. Then you look up your book by isbn over at librarything. Odds are it’s there, but if it isn’t you can enter it quickly. You log onto an account specifically dedicated to educational books and list that book as part of the collection with the keyword p2pu-eng-kites-kites_in_theory_and_practice-001.

Then you send msgs to anyone else listed as having the same book and invite them to join you, You also list the course and say whoever wants to join will find that book useful. As your group grows, and hopefully people report on their successes in making and flying kites, you’ll also be developing a study guide to help get the most out of the book. And most likely, others books will be recommended. Someone says, hey, i think “The Big Book of Kites” has some good material in it. So you add that book to the list, with the keyword p2pu-eng-kites-kites_in_theory_and_practice-002.

Hi. I graduated from UC Irvine in 1983 with a BS in Information and Computer Science. I had intended to become a full time programmer but i ended up as a freelancer.

And that very quickly developed into less programming and more configuring existing software, and eventually into computer troubleshooting. And that doesn’t pay much anymore, so much cheaper to buy a new system whenever there’s a problem.

So last year i decided to get into web design. I’d already made a lot of simple static pages, but now i want to do the sophisticated stuff. Which means learning html, css, java, sql and php. I’m taking a few classes at my local junior college but with my background i should be able to learn new languages without a lot of formal instruction. Which is why i’m here.

As for my other interests, i’m an rpg player, i read a lot of scifi and fantasy, i like history, religion, chocolate, tea, dr pepper, and cats.

Also, i still have not gotten my confirmation email so i can post on the class site. Does anyone know how long that’s supposed to take?

Hi,

My name is Emma, I am Developer Community Manager and Participation Architect at SocialCoding4Good , and part of Community Building at Mozilla - I’m very exited about using P2PU to deliver course content geared towards increasing open source participation. I’m working on a series dedicated to contributing to open source projects (starting with this on general course: ‘hacking open source participation’) but lending to many different projects including my current ‘in draft’ course for Mifos and many to follow for Mobile Medic, Ushahidi, Webmaker …among others. I’m interested in learning how to better curate this as a series.

Welcome @Emma_Irwin! I like the Hacking open source participation course! Looking forward to see the Mifos course develop.

1 Like

Hi

My name is Chris. I’m from Swansea University and am interested in building a course site with Jekyll on GitHub. I’ve built course resources on GitHub already, but this is my first attempt at a complete open course. It can’t be completely self-contained as some of the content will have to remain on my institution’s Managed Learning Environment (MLE). Hope that doesn’t disqualify me in any way.