Please introduce yourself!

Welcome, Colby! I, too, found P2PU recently and thought it was a great idea and a great place to learn. It’s also a great place to design courses to help others learn too, if you want, possibly in collaboration with others. Maybe down the road you could consider it! We all have things we could teach each other…

1 Like

Hello to all, I’m hoping this PSPU is all that I think it may be?

Hey Suited Gent - What is it that you think it may be? (What would you want it to be)

One thing it is not is PSPU :wink:

1 Like

Please forgive my typo, it should have stated P2PU. I’m hoping it can allow me to have a classroom setting online?

There is a range of different things. You can start a course on a topic you are interested in, or you can join an existing course that someone else started. You can work on projects (learning projects) that are mapped to badges. Or you can sign-up to one of our larger online learning experiments - like the gentle introduction to python. You find links to all of this and more on the homepage http://p2pu.org

Since this is the discussion thread for introductions, it would also be great to hear a little more about who you are, and what you might be interested in.

!L2P, I have started a course topic, teaching the basics of style and etiquette to men. I’m wondering if there is a cost for these courses and how many students I can teach at one time?

Hello Everybody,

I’m Apostolos and I am a Research Associate with the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Computer Science Dept. My research field is Open Source Software Engineering. I am also the co founder of Websthetics, a small web agency based in Thessaloniki, Greece.

I support groups and initiations promoting research, open culture, innovation and entrepreneurship. I curate the Open Coffee Thessaloniki meetings and I am part of the Startup Weekend Thessaloniki Organizers’ Team.

It’s really nice joining P2PU and get to meet you guys!

3 Likes

Hi!

I arrived to the P2P University with the idea to create a course to learn how to build wireless sensor networks using arduino and XBees.

We have taught the course in a class setting and now we want to share it with the world using the P2P university. We are preparing a proposal here:

I have no idea about online courses and MOOCs, but I guess this is the right place to start.

Thanks for making this P2P University platform available.

2 Likes

@jaume_barcelo! Welcome.

My name is Vanessa, and I help out with learning design around these parts. I took a look at your proposal, and have a couple of comments and ideas for you:

1. Collaboration: I saw that you envision groups working together, but didn’t see how. Maybe you and I can jump on an etherpad and sketch that out?
  2. Quizzes: the P2PU platform doesn’t support quizzes, but I’d suggest embedding a googleform if you’d really like to go in that direction.
  3. Alternately, you could deploy assessment via the projects people work on together. We’ve designed an assessment program that integrates with the platform: http://badges.p2pu.org/en-us/

If you’d like further resources, check out our “Create a Course” materials: https://p2pu.org/en/courses/445/how-do-i-make-a-p2pu-course/

Hope this helps, and you can always catch me at vanessa@p2pu.org

Cheerio Vanessa

2 Likes

Welcome @akritiko! We <3 researchers here at P2PU.

We’ve been building a research community here: http://info.p2pu.org/research/

If you have ideas for research projects or know people who’d like to do research on the P2PU community, please send them my way! I’m vanessa@p2pu.org

Again, welcome!

1 Like

This is very cool. I share an office with David Mellis, one of the co-founders of Arduino. Do you know him? Happy to intro and share information about your course with him.

2 Likes

Yes … you are absolutely right. We want to give the opportunity to students to collaborate. It is always more fun working in groups. I am thinking that we can ask each group to prepare a blog post with their project/assignment, including the code, schematics and a demonstration video. Obviously we should also give the possibility of having one-person-groups.

It would be very nice to have groups working together. It should be possible for groups to use blog comments and other ways of communication to interact.
http://etherpad.creativecommons.org/p/open_wireless_sensor_p2pu

I like both alternatives. I will include them both in the proposal.

Thanks for all your help. I have included you as a member of our team in the proposal. I have used the picture that you have in linkedin (If that is a problem, let me know and I will remove it from our document).

Cheers!

What a happy coincidence! You can tell him that our students here love Arduino and for this reason we decided to share the course online with others. This is what we did last year:

It is very basic, but it provides the basic steps for the students to continue learning on their own.

Thanks a lot!
Jaume

I forwarded it to David. He is crazy busy at the moment, but I’ll follow up with him next week.

Thanks :slight_smile: … but I don’t want to distract him if he is busy … I just wanted to thank him for creating this beautiful creature that is Arduino. That’s all.

Hello P2PU people!

I am new to P2PU, joining you via the ‘Why Open?’ course.

I am about to start an African studies program in Paris but I’ve done a bunch of other things before that. Details will be trickling in as we get to know each other :wink:

I’d love to get involved beyond just participating in courses, i.e. facilitating a course or working with a language/translation team.

Looking forward to joining you on this great adventure,
Laila.

1 Like

Hi people, I will be lurking here too.

1 Like

Hey Laila - Great to meet you. I was in Paris earlier this year, working with Francois Taddei at CRI (interdisciplinary research institute at University Descartes). We are hoping to do more things with them in future.

That’s amazing !

What kind of ‘things’ are you planning with the CRI? Courses? Research?

Both possibly. They are starting an executive training program next year that I will contribute to. And I am hoping we can get something going in the open science / citizen science space (I am also talking to people in NY). They are a really interesting group.

1 Like