🌚 Fri Oct 18 2019 — P2PU Course Cleanup!

32%20PM

Join P2PU for our course cleanup! This working group meeting is open to everyone and will be Friday, October 18th at 12 PM - 2 PM ET (when does this happen in your time zone?).

Let us know if you plan to join by replying below!

Topic and Agenda

Over the past four years, P2PU created a list of 300 online courses specifically curated for in-person learning environments. We’ve created a number of systems to make finding courses easier for everyone (see history of courses page below), but we think we can do better. One simple solution: clean it up!

Together, we’ll spend time reviewing our course list to ensure that we are featuring the best courses. At the same time, we want to throw away junk courses like those with bad course ratings, that no longer exist, are now behind paywalls, or are straight-up spam!

Learning circle experience is not necessary, but those who join should have an interest in the state of online education and addressing the challenges we’ve encountered . Some experience with using Excel or Google Sheets will be needed. Depending on people’s availability and interest, we may schedule a couple more working meetings.

Meeting Details - October 18th at 12 PM - 2 PM ET

History of P2PU Courses Page

• P2PU worked with Chicago Public Library in 2015 to create a list of 30 or so reasonably good and easy to access online courses for use in learning circles. We also created a few suggestions for finding other online courses too.
  • We opened the initial course list up so anyone could list the courses they used for their learning circles, and added 50 or so more. This became the P2PU Course Page - take a look!
  • In 2018, we noticed the quality, paywalls and licensing of online courses were becoming less equitable and open and we envisioned a better way to find and create courses for learning circles.
  • Based on feedback we received through community calls, we added details about each course, ratings, sorting features, filtering options, and created public-facing evaluation reports.

2 Likes

Course Cleanup Sheet is available here to use: Course cleanup sheet - Oct 18 2019 - Google Sheets

Courses page has now been updated! Thanks for the extra help @SteveFoerster

https://www.p2pu.org/en/courses/

I am wondering why my course "Build Your Own Mac OS X Client Home Server - Open Source Software” was bumped out of the data base?

Eduardo Bonsi
Internet Society Member
Facilitator/Community Organizer
at Peer2Peer University

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for messaging us about this. Our moderation system could certainly be improved and I think we can add your course back in by changing the link.

Right now, anyone can use any content they want to guide their learning circle. If people registered for your learning circle with the link you provided, it will still turn up on your sign up page, so there shouldn’t be any issues with those who you are communicating with currently.

However, if it is to live on our course page (p2pu.org/courses), then we want to ensure that the link will access a specific course and that the course is free to access. The course link that was provided for your course was listed as: https://connect.internetsociety.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=9dbe0b6b-77dc-421a-b3e4-57553cf9fcf5&CommunityKey=3b511eda-751b-4669-b557-cac0a8646d02&tab=digestviewe

The link asks the user to register an IS account, but after registration, it’s not clear where the specific course content lives. Looking around, I found that there are 11 modules from human rights to building a CSIRT, but no course listed as "Build Your Own Mac OS X Client Home Server - Open Source Software”. Without being able to find the course immediately, based on the moderation criteria, we unlisted it from our course page.

I think the course you were trying to point people towards with your learning circle was “Building Wireless Community Networks” which can be found here without making an account: https://www.internetsociety.org/tutorials/wireless-community-networks. Is this the course that you are using for your learning circle? If so, we can easily rename the course with that name and that link and repost the course.

If not, and your learning circle meets to discuss a number of different online modules depending on their interests, that’s great and we encourage all learning circles to do that, but our course page doesn’t effectively communicate this interest right now. In the future, we may consider adding a “Title” feature for every learning circle, which may solve the issue.

1 Like

Thanks, Nico, I understand the issue and I agreed with the criterion. The link of the Course should lead to a free and accessible site.

Since this is my first time facilitating, I am testing serving the Course in three places.

1. Google Class Room,

https://classroom.google.com/c/NDQzMjAxMjI5NDVa

Right now this is the place where I am delivering the Course in combination with the Hangout + Youtube. My four students are from West Africa and our timezone differs. So, I record videos and assign it to them. We tested the Hangout on the chat line. They all had problems with their video and voice configuration. However, I understand that one needs to be logged in to their Google email to have access, just like the Hangout.

1. I tested on https://www.oercommons.org and I think the Course can be freely accessed there through this link. I did not like their editor. It looks better for us then for the students. That is the reason I did not advertise the link before.

https://www.oercommons.org/courseware/module/58164/student/226731

1. I am testing [Course in a Box] but I am not anywhere near to finish that this week. Course in a Box does have a learning curve and I am still learning to layout content.

I got to the point to understand now and things are moving but like I said, the Course is not complete yet. Here is the link;

https://ebonsi.github.io/course-in-a-box/

Thanks for the followup!

Eduardo

Nico_Koenig

November 11

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for messaging us about this. Our moderation system could certainly be improved and I think we can add your course back in by changing the link.

Right now, anyone can use any content they want to guide their learning circle. If people registered for your learning circle with the link you provided, it will still turn up on your sign up page, so there shouldn’t be any issues with those who you are communicating with currently.

However, if it is to live on our course page (p2pu.org/courses), then we want to ensure that the link will access a specific course and that the course is free to access. The course link that was provided for your course was listed as: https://connect.internetsociety.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=9dbe0b6b-77dc-421a-b3e4-57553cf9fcf5&CommunityKey=3b511eda-751b-4669-b557-cac0a8646d02&tab=digestviewe

The link asks the user to register an IS account, but after registration, it’s not clear where the specific course content lives. Looking around, I found that there are 11 modules from human rights to building a CSIRT, but no course listed as "Build Your Own Mac OS X Client Home Server - Open Source Software”. Without being able to find the course immediately, based on the moderation criteria, we unlisted it from our course page.

I think the course you were trying to point people towards with your learning circle was “Building Wireless Community Networks” which can be found here without making an account: https://www.internetsociety.org/tutorials/wireless-community-networks. Is this the course that you are using for your learning circle? If so, we can easily rename the course with that name and that link and repost the course.

If not, and your learning circle meets to discuss a number of different online modules depending on their interests, that’s great and we encourage all learning circles to do that, but our course page doesn’t effectively communicate this interest right now. In the future, we may consider adding a “Title” feature for every learning circle, which may solve the issue.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Eduardo_Bonsi

November 11

I am wondering why my course "Build Your Own Mac OS X Client Home Server - Open Source Software” was bumped out of the data base?
Eduardo Bonsi
Internet Society Member
at Peer2Peer University

Previous Replies

Eduardo_Bonsi

November 11

Eduardo Bonsi

Internet Society Member

at Peer2Peer University

ebonsi@bonsi.org

Nico_Koenig

November 11

Courses page has now been updated! Thanks for the extra help @SteveFoerster

https://www.p2pu.org/en/courses/

Nico_Koenig

October 17

Course Cleanup Sheet is available here to use: Course cleanup sheet - Oct 18 2019 - Google Sheets

Nico_Koenig

August 28

Join P2PU for our course cleanup! This working group meeting is open to everyone and will be Friday, October 18th at 12 PM - 2 PM ET (when does this happen in your time zone?).

Let us know if you plan to join by replying below!

Topic and Agenda

Over the past four years, P2PU created a list of 300 online courses specifically curated for in-person learning environments. We’ve created a number of systems to make finding courses easier for everyone (see history of courses page below), but we think we can do better. One simple solution: clean it up!

Together, we’ll spend time reviewing our course list to ensure that we are featuring the best courses. At the same time, we want to throw away junk courses like those with bad course ratings, that no longer exist, are now behind paywalls, or are straight-up spam!

Learning circle experience is not necessary, but those who join should have an interest in the state of online education and addressing the challenges we’ve encountered . Some experience with using Excel or Google Sheets will be needed. Depending on people’s availability and interest, we may schedule a couple more working meetings.

Meeting Details - October 18th at 12 PM - 2 PM ET

History of P2PU Courses Page

• P2PU worked with Chicago Public Library in 2015 to create a list of 30 or so reasonably good and easy to access online courses for use in learning circles. We also created a few suggestions for finding other online courses too.
  • We opened the initial course list up so anyone could list the courses they used for their learning circles, and added 50 or so more. This became the P2PU Course Page - take a look!
  • In 2018, we noticed the quality, paywalls and licensing of online courses were becoming less equitable and open and we envisioned a better way to find and create courses for learning circles.
  • Based on feedback we received through community calls, we added details about each course, ratings, sorting features, filtering options, and created public-facing evaluation reports.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Eduardo Bonsi
Internet Society Member
at Peer2Peer University

@Nico_Koenig
Nico, with all this moving around trying to find a place to host the course, I forgot to followup in this conversation.

I tried to edit that particular Learning Circle,

https://learningcircles.p2pu.org/en/course/529/

to correct the link pointing to the Course-in-a-Box I am developing on Github but it seems that I am no longer have the authority to access the database field. Nico, If you have the authority, could you change the link to;

https://ebonsi.github.io/course-in-a-box/

Many Thanks!

Hi @Nico_Koenig

Just skimming through some of the forum threads and followed your link above to challenges encountered, and read that post with great interest.

Realizing that it was written last year, just wondered if there’s
any update on the progress of the OER collaborative initiative? And is there a need for volunteers to assist with the course
development?

Cheery
Chris

Hey Chris,

That post was written by @grif and he has since written a few other notes about how we develop OER . You might be interested in reading about how we created an open course and there a few other posts you might be interested in reading on our blog https://info.p2pu.org/

The main update is that we are still pursuing the concept of OER collective, but its shape and long-term direction is still being mapped. We talked about the idea during our Gathering event in Boston, and there was certainly interest from a few key partners to move the idea forward.

Yes, there are certainly many ways to get involved and contribute! What are you interested in helping out with in regard to course development? Are there other ways you see yourself wanting to contribute to OER and learning circles?

1 Like

This is indeed a nice compilation about Learning Circles! Thanks for sharing @Chris_Johnson

It is true that it is essential to update all the components of a tool. This allows good use.