Learning circles follow a method: check-in, coursework, activity or group discussion, and plus/delta. Checking in and plus/delta are the bookends of a learning circle.
We start each learning circle with a check-in exercise. This is a chance to tell us how you’re doing, what your goals are for today, and what you need help with.
For the very first learning circle meeting, you might consider asking the group:
- Who are you? How are you doing?
- What brings you here today?
- Share a story about a meaningful learning experience.
- Share a fun fact about the community you come from.
- Tell us one thing that you can teach and one thing you want to learn
- What is something you learned recently?
Some ideas to consider:
- Ask a different silly question each week (ex.what kind of cereal are you today?)
- Use a talking stick or special totem to pass around. When someone has the totem, they are the only ones who can talk.
- Take notes and summarize what peoples goals are and what they need help with at the end of the check-in