P2PU + Mobile + Firefox OS

Hey good people,
I’ve been discussing via e-mail with Dirk, Vanessa, Bekka and Erika about new projects.

One of the things we came up with is having some sort of partnership with Firefox OS on content distribution. For those who don’t know it, that’s the new operating system Mozilla has been working on for the last two years. It’s totally open and HTML5 based. So, general questions…

• How might we get the website adapted to Mobile screen?
  • How might we become partners to Mozilla/School of Webcraft on delivering embedded content?
  • Which path should we follow: create a new, spin-off service, or adapt the current website?
  • What’s most important to mobile users?
  • How could that help learners build things for the Firefox OS platform itself?

Lots of question marks, no answers… let’s get our hands dirty!
A good momentum would be presenting a prototype by the Mozilla Summit. I’ll be around Toronto by that time, guess more people from P2PU will be around the world.

J

It would be fantastic to make P2PU more mobile friendly (across all platforms, FF OS, Android, IOS) …

If this would only work on FF OS, I’d be hesitant, given that it has such small uptake and is still in very early stages of development.

Hands dirty? Yes! General project weaving together Mozilla / SoW / P2PU? Awesome!

Great P, totally agree.
I’ll bring some more designers into the conversation to help us out. Willing to listen from the rest of the community.

Count on me. Looks like a good way to get the hands dirty :slight_smile:

^ Here’s Bruno Duarte, one of my invitees to help us out. He’s my coworker :slight_smile:

Welcome @Bruno ! Great work on reports.p2pu.org!

I think it can be interesting to think about mobile apps that can be complimentary to P2PU. Something like creating a mobile app where you can take courses and get notifications about the course and then coupling that with research to see if users using the mobile version are more engaged?

Other parts that are also important is making sure that p2pu.org, badges.p2pu.org and mechanicalmooc.org works on mobiles. We do not need everything to work perfectly, but I think it’s very important that the home page works perfectly on mobile phones. I also think it’s very important to make sure that the MOOC signup process also works on mobiles.

This is something we need to think about. See http://thepeople.p2pu.org/t/webcraft-2-0-what-to-do-about-webcraft/47/6 for some discussion about this.

In what ways can the content on P2PU be divided into components? What kind of API functions are there for P2PU content?

Granular content and a good API can open the way for a rich, and custom tailored, mobile experience, as well as making P2PU content portable across the web.

Good question, @brylie. Are you able to clarify those, @dirk?

@JoaoMenezes, @brylie I think it is important to remember that with P2PU, community comes before content. And I think that mobile has a lot of potential in that space.

This sounds like a good question for @vanessa :slight_smile:

Currently you should be able to get a list of courses at https://p2pu.org/api/alpha/courses/?format=json. This unfortunately doesn’t include courses in the new course UX. You can get info about new courses by scraping the data (urgh), but considering that we do support LRMI markup, it’s not that bad.

Another part where we can improve (with web or mobile) is with content discovery. What you see when you go to “Find Great Courses” doesn’t live up to its name atm.

If we can think of something concrete to build for mobile, I’m sure we’ll be able to support the necessary API’s for that.

@dirk, @vanessa I am glad that P2PU is so community oriented. What are some common community/social patterns? E.g. sending a messaage, mentioning a name, watching a thread?

I.e. I think it would be useful to build a community API, so that application developers and website builders can integrate the P2PU community into their projects. This would have a powerful network effect.

1 Like