Introduce yourself to the Course in a Box crew

We’re glad to see you here and curious to know who you are! Where are you from and what do you do? Tell us something everyone should know about you and something that we won’t know.

My name is Tegegne Tefera. I am from Ethiopia and live in Sweden and Norway. :smile: I don’t consider my self as an educator.
What brought me here is a wish to learn an ancient Ethiopian language. The language has no natural speakers but is used in Ethiopian churches and the only way to learn it is to go to the masters at the chrch schools. It is sufice to say there aren’t any outside of Ethiopia and even there they are very few and lcated at remote monastries.
There is interest among individuals and familie to learn and teach childeren this language a few of us were discussing about the possibility of building a community based learning program online. We have among us who has access materials and teachers.
This is as far as we came and this site seems the right place to build.

Thnks for all the help we can get.

Hi @teferra - that’s super interesting! Have you heard about http://www.endangeredlanguages.com/
from Google? And be sure to ask @grif about using unhangouts for talking to other people in the language.

Hi, there!
My name is Ming Ma, a master student in Learning, Design and Technology. I have been studied in this area for 5 years, my career goal is to creating fun in education with design and technology. Because I always felt so struggling in school in my childhood. I am trying to figure out what the future of education. MOOC is definitely one of the most disruptive educational intervention nowadays. However, unlike traditional MOOC’s disengaged feeling, I think P2PU is a great place to start up. I am very glad I can join the learning communities with other fantastic educators.

I am planning to open a course called Getting to Know Chinese with FOOD! The motivation why I want to open this course is I found that most of Chinese restaurants in the U.S. don’t provide traditional Chinese dishes. Even some of them provide the dishes, none of them give the further explanation behind the dishes. Chinese, as the most difficult language to learn on earth, can be taught in a more simple, easy, fun way by evolving great Chinese food.

1 Like

@Tefera I am IN. p2pU. Exploring endangered Languages at http://www.endangeredlanguages.com/. Later on I will be posting Table of Contents and possibly study a little bit the YouTube video.

Hello, I am david austin a director of bible.org and I am interested in setting up a MOOC to help people study the bible and learn how to be disciples of Christ. I have found your videos and lessons learned very helpful and I want to help promote the idea of open education across the internet.

Hi I am Helgardt. I am from CPT South Africa. Would like to learn something new.

Welcome @Helbot! I hope to move be staying in Cape Town for a while from the start of next year! Do you have anything in particular that you would like to learn?

Hello all! My name is Eli and I am a public historian and preservationist at Baltimore Heritage in Maryland. I’m very interested in how communities can use the web to help save historic places, celebrate local history and build a stronger, and more inclusive sense of community identity.

I’m in the early stages of a new project with a national partner to develop an online course to help local preservationists advocate for historic buildings and neighborhoods.

The initial inspiration for our partner was observing the growth of MOOCs on Coursera and edX but those courses didn’t seem like they provided the collaborative approach we had in mind. I am really excited to find P2PU and the resources you’ve developed as a model that we could use in developing an effective course for the community of participants we hope to engage. I look forward to working through the self-guided how-to course!

1 Like

Hi !
I’m Romain, living in France. I’m working in an NGO called “Université du Nous”, doing some research, training, worshop, coaching about new governance model as “holacracy”, sociocraty, to help transition to a new society where power and leadership are distributed…the work is big to go out of a pyramidal system (specialy in France), and each person and organisation are different, so there is a big issue on how to help a grassroot peer to peer movement to rise a new culture of cooperation, not built by expert but by people, for the people to reach theirs needs (with support from expert as us, in a win win relation).

I’m here because i have 2 issues to reach about learning plateforme and strategy:
a long terme one: to help rising a self-organised learning community and P2P commons production about governance and cooperation
a short terme one: to support online working of students for a 6 month training starting in octobrer (huhh!!)

Should i have one tools/one stratégy, as going on moodle so that it could be flexible, but complex?Or start the simplier way is possible?

Sorry for my english, :smirk:

1 Like

Hi @Romain_Vignes

Sounds like you have amazing goals! I would very much like a “society where power and leadership are distributed”!

We’re currently supporting students doing 6-8 week online courses in Chicago, we follow a model where students meet once a week for an hour and a half at a local library. Not sure if that would be possible in your case, but have a look at https://www.p2pu.org/en/learning-circles/, we’re sharing some of our materials there.

What functionality are you looking for? A place to host course content or a place for students to communicate? I would alway recommend starting simple if possible :smile:

Cheers
Dirk

Yes i do ! nice to have your support on this !!

Both ! for the short terme goal (launch for october an online tool to support our trainees) i would need tools so that:

• students can set up their profile, and appears in a map
  • we could share videos and didactic content
  • we could ask them to fill form and give some exercices to do alone or in small group
  • students can ask questions, and share anwswer/feedbacks (forum?)
  • and something like co production of contents (wiki?)

Thanks !

@Romain_Vignes

You could do this with multiple tools like Google Maps, a forum, Google Forms & something like Course in a Box or a wiki. But you can also use something that does all of this together like a LMS. For people uncomfortable on the net, it’s usually better to limit the number of tools that you use in a course, but in the medium term you want to get people more comfortable and do things like create a profile in places they own.

Hello! I am Michael from Redding, CA and I am an educator interested in sharing curriculum and learning ways to use the Internet in the classroom.

1 Like

I am a high school IT and Business teacher in the US trying to provide students with any place/any time learning tools.

1 Like

My name is Stacey Digges. I am interested in innovating education. I am currently working on designing a ‘Survival Science’ course that will be used this summer with the local Boys and Girl Club. I am hoping to create a model that could be used within a school setting as well. I would like to incorporate a integrated technology experience. I also am interested in ‘Gamification’ and creating a educational program that students ‘play’ like a game. It is in the formative process currently, but I believe this class could be useful in creating something that can be implemented on a broader scale.

1 Like

Hello, I’m Nicole. After doing a PhD and working for a few years teaching information and library studies in a distance polytechnic in New Zealand I decided to make a major shift and take up a role as a library and information services trainer to the public library system of St. Lucia in the Eastern Caribbean.
I’d like to develop a course that teaches the fundamentals of information and library studies to the staff of the libraries here, most of whom have no formal study or qualifications in librarianship. The libraries are not well supported by the Ministry of Education but rather rely primarily on donations for materials, and I think it’s a matter of strengthening the profession and developing staff’s body of knowledge in information studies, which will result in a more professional and committed community able to better advocate for their share of the limited funding and resources.
I am only here for 12 months and I’d like to be able to offer something on-going to staff for training purposes after my role here is completed. Hence the idea to develop an online course which combines my expertise in distance teaching and information science and the lack of resources for professional development here in St. Lucia.
I am also doing the final paper in a certificate in e-learning which requires that we develop a course as part of our assessment. Thus far I have been working with Moodle but as the course is hosted by my previous employer I can’t actually make it accessible to the learners for whom I am developing it, thus I am exploring different options for creating the course.
Cheers,
Nicole

Hi @NicoleG

That sounds amazing. We love libraries and librarians! It sounds to me like Course in a Box would work well for you to develop your online course. You should also consider setting up a learning circle doing the course. Learning circles are light weight study groups normally run by someone without specific content expertise. If you develop the course with learning circles in mind in can keep on going in that way after the 12 months you’re there.

Cheers
Dirk

Hi! I’m Anna and I’m preparing to facilitate a pilot online course on energy politics (more info here: http://platformlondon.org/energy-democracy-peer-online-course-pilot/)

I thought I’d try out P2PU’s course technology to see if it’s something we can use. Looking forward to it!

1 Like