GitBook open source tool

Hi @dirk ,

You might find this quite interesting. It is an opensource project called GitBook, which is for building online books and exercises around programming. It might be interesting to look at for more generic course creation. It also makes use of Markdown.

http://www.gitbook.io/

Regards,
Ralfe

Thanks for pointing it out! The link has been open in one of my tabs for a week now, but I haven’t had a chance to look at it. I really like their landing page!

Is is aimed at online or is the idea to be able to print the book also?

Hi @dirk,

No, it is not meant for printing, as the focus is on interactive content.

Regards,
Ralfe

What I like about it is the way they track progress through the book. They are doing so on the client side which is probably the part that interest me most about it. I assume it won’t work accross devices or browsers, but there may be ways of achieving that in a way that people can integrate it on the client side. Kind of like disqus how disqus normally works, but for keeping track of where you are.

Other than that, I think it is a good tool to use for creating a book like experience with some level of interactivity.

What is missing for me is the social bit, the sense that other people are also working through the same book. I can’t see that in their JavaScript example.

Adding togetherJS to this may be interesting. Adding comments or links to a forum would also be useful.

Hi @dirk,

For the progress tracker, you could use some standard HTML/CSS with some simple JS to create a progress bar that would work cross-platform.

I’m not sure sure togetherJS would work here, unless you are just thinking about using their commenting functionality (i.e.: you probably wouldn’t want screen sharing and so on).

Regards,
Ralfe

I probably didn’t express myself properly :slight_smile: The problem currently is that progress is stored on the client side, so if you view the site using a laptop and then continue later on your mobile you won’t have progress.

I was thinking more about using togetherJS for live chat on a page.

Aah, I see. I suppose when you “turn a page”, you could send a small AJAX request to update the progress on the server.

Yes, that is more or less right. The idea would be to do it in a way that people don’t have to setup a server to host content that is essentially static. So in this example, if you create your own GitBook, you don’t want to have to setup a server for it.