Learning Circle Page for our organization

When a current learning circle is full and registration closes–the page for our organization shows that there are NO learning circles rather than that the learning circles are full or that registration has closed. Can this be changed? and also, it would be nice if we could list “upcoming learning circles” that are not yet open for registration. Right now, it looks like there is no activity at all and directs visitors to learn about starting their own learning circle, which is not optimal and a little confusing for our library customers. Has anyone else had issues with this? what have you done?

1 Like

Hey Gwendolyn! Good questions!

I think you’re right that the way things are needs changing. Individual learning circle pages were originally designed just for getting people to sign up - so if the event wasn’t accepting sign ups there wasn’t much reason to highlight it. But as you point out, your team page isn’t just a place for people to sign up in the moment, it’s an opportunity to see what’s upcoming, what’s going on (but full) and possible even what’s completed.

Beyond just wanting people to see a not-empty page, can you help me understand exactly what you’re looking for in each of these use cases?

• Upcoming but not open for registration: what is the situation where you know the details of a learning circles but it’s not yet open for registration?
  • Happening now but full: is this just to show that things are happening, or are you interested in something interactive like joining a waiting list, indicating that you’d like to facilitate another iteration of the same course, etc.
  • Completed: is there value in keeping some public record of completed learning circles?

Hi Grif,

Thanks so much for the prompt reply! Stacey and I conferred, and this is what we came up with:

·
Upcoming but not open for registration: what is the situation where you know the details of a learning circles but it’s not yet open for registration? For us, that would likely be that we plan things
four (or more) months ahead, but typically don’t open registration until 30 days before the first event. So we’d be able to start promoting early (in Engage and otherwise), and customers could get more information by going to the Spokane County Library District site. But we
won’t have a bunch of people register so early that they cancel/no show when things start.

·
Happening now but full: * is this just to show that things are happening, or are you interested in something interactive like joining a waiting list, indicating that you’d like to facilitate another iteration
of the same course, etc.* I think both of Grif’s examples would be correct for us here. A waiting list option could be very helpful, given the limited flexibility of our conference room spaces (if a spot opens up it would be nice to fill it, but we don’t
want to overbook). And I definitely think we could use it as an indicator that we need to offer the same course again at a location. Especially after targeted promotion, either in our e-newsletter (like Danielle’s Personal Finance 101) or when something is
super popular (like your writing learning circle).

·
Completed: is there value in keeping some public record of completed learning circles? I do think there is value in this, to show customers what sorts of topics have been offered in the past, and
help them find something that is relevant to them personally—and also give them examples of the wide variety of subjects we can offer. As we continue to offer new learning circles, having this “public record” of our past offerings can show customers that we
are responsive to what each community wants.

Thanks for your help!

Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn Haley

Public Services Manager, Education and Enrichment | Spokane County Library District

4322 N Argonne Rd | Spokane, WA 99212

509.893.8362 |
www.scld.org

image001.jpg

On Behalf Of Grif Peterson via P2PU Community

1 Like