Learning about Learning Circles (P2PU)

What recommendations do you have for other facilitators who are using "Learning about Learning Circles"? Consider sharing additional resources you found helpful, activities that worked particularly well, and some reflections on who this course is best suited for. For more information, see this course on P2PU’s course page.

2 Likes

Learning about learning circles is a five module course designed to help people get ready to facilitate a learning circle. Because the course materials were designed with learning circles in mind, you don’t need to spend much time adapting the course to fit the learning circle model.

I facilitated this course as a virtual learning circle last month and it went really well! We had 19 participants who met 2x week for five meetings (Tues, Thurs, Tues, Thurs, Tues).

I prepared an agenda in advance of each meeting using Etherpad. This proved to be a very successful way of organizing the group, and it served a number of roles: a timekeeping schedule, a space for synchronous collaboration/writing, a place to share links, and an archive of notes/discussion. You can see what our final Etherpad looked like here.

If you’d like to use a similar format:

If you plan on facilitating this, you should also read what I wrote on the P2PU blog, as I think it gives a good idea of what each meeting felt like.

You can also access the public learning circle report.

1 Like

The course Learning about Learning Circles (P2PU) received a 5 star rating from a facilitator!

Did anything about the learning circle surprise you?
Nope!

Do you have any stories from the learning circle you want to share with the P2PU community?
At the end of the planned five meetings, a sixth topic (virtual meeting logistics) was suggested and most of the group wanted to keep going.

You recorded in your weekly feedback that 12 participant(s) attended the first meeting. Is this correct?
Yes

You recorded in your weekly feedback that 11 participant(s) attended the second meeting. Is this correct?
Yes

About how many people showed up for the last meeting?

How well did the online course work as a learning circle?
5/5

Why did you give the course 5 star(s)?
It was designed for an in-person learning circle, but it could probably be tweaked for a virtual environment.

How likely are you to recommend facilitating a learning circle to a friend or colleague?