Introduce yourself!

Hello everyone!

I’m Morgan from the Saint Paul Public Library. We’re very excited to be participating with P2PU and we can’t wait to see how the public responds to our first couple of learning circles!

Greetings fellow life-long learners and global citizens! It is exciting to see the reach of these learning communities. Seattle is not yet on the map, so I’m interested in getting this corner of the Pacific Northwest involved in P2PU learning circles.

The democratization of learning is of particular interest to me since I’ve been an educator and student in many contexts and countries (Germany, Japan, Malaysia, US). I’ve recently been learning instructional design, UX basics, graphic design, and philosophy for daily life while facilitating an ESL, digital literacy, community engagement, and leadership development course with immigrant parents. My background is as a program director, curriculum writer, and trainer.

There is so much more to explore here while building community!

1 Like

Welcome Corinne!

Would love to see more learning circles in the Pacific Northwest. There were some initial learning circles led by the Pierce County Public Library a few years ago, but most of the energy in Washington these days is happening in Spokane.

Sounds like you’ve got a ton of great insights I hope you’re able to share with the rest of us. Stay in touch!

Nico

Thanks for the tip, Nico! I see Spokane does have an upcoming learning circle. It is cool to know there is someone “nearby” who is active with P2PU.

I’m excited to get started reviewing all the resources available here and make something happen in Seattle, too. Ideas, ideas, ideas! The words “non-hierarchical education” sound so delightful.

Hello, I am excited to start learning how to build and facilitate a learning circle so that I can start some at my regional library branch. Others have led and completed an ASL beginner course and will be starting the intermediate later this year. I would love to add new leaning opportunities for our customers.

1 Like

Welcome Amanda! The ASL sign school has been very popular with learning circles. A few folks have shared their resources and feedback with using the course here American Sign Language (Sign School) Feel free to ask questions there or let us all know how it went.

Yo!
I am Fabian, based in East Anglia, in the east of England.
I have been familiar with Learning Circles for a while, but I am more familiar with the term study circle.
I have written about Independent Working Class Education.
I am interest in a learning circle on Tektology.
I recently learnt that new users can only put 2 links in a post on this software.

2 Likes

Hello! I’m Emily from San Mateo County Libraries in California. Excited about the idea of hosting Learning Circles for citizenship, Spanish Literacy and learning English. Also about how to conduct this learning online, given our current circumstances!

1 Like

Hi @Emily_Smith! Nice to have you here.

Here’s where folks have been discussing online learning circles >> How do we learn together when we can't meet together? (a place to talk about how we're responding to COVID-19)

1 Like

Yo! Welcome! Nice to hear about IWCE. We would love to hear more about it. I assume you might be connected to the Ragged University folks? By the way, you might also be interested in seeing light overview of study circle history that I compiled.

Hello Jill. This is Luis Campos, from Spain. I am doing my thesis (PhD) about communities for the common good (within Economy for the Common Good, Felber’s model). One of the assessment implied is on barriers to disability. Would you be so kind to evaluate that scale from your experience? (forgive my poor English!).

1 Like

Hi, I’m Young from the Chicago Public Library - Albany Park Branch. I’m glad to join you and learn how to support my patrons to keep ELL Learning Circle. I would also like to learn how to conduct more Learning Circle programs for the patrons who are shelter-in-place during the COVID-19 pandemic.

1 Like

Hello! I’m Becky Margraf, and I’m the newest staff member of P2PU! I’m here to improve how our team learns from your experiences learning with each other. I’m based in Portland, OR and Berlin, GER. Excited to participate in my first learning circle and meet more members of this wonderful community. :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

Great to see you here, Young!

Sure – send over what you have!

2 posts were split to a new topic: Economy for the Common Good (Spanish)

Hello! My name is Helen Christian and I am interested in learning how learning circles work, and how I can train tutors and adult learners to use P2PU for learning English and preparing for Citizenship. My hope is that eventually tutors and learners take classes on other topics together, and that learners becomes facilitators as well. Thank you!

4 Likes

Hey there Helen, welcome! There are a number of good folks we should connect you too related to your interest. @David_Rosen @Sherry_Lehane1 come to mind. Here’s some resourced shared by David and LAPL English Language Learning Circles and some ideas provided by Sherry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BsrUBZ0Wyc

3 Likes

Hi everyone …

Jacek

7 Likes

Hi there! Greetings from Transylvania :slight_smile: Where the weather is nice and the learning great.

6 Likes