Introduce yourself!

Glad you made it here, Patrick :slight_smile:

Welcome David! Many people have facilitated sign language classes before - I’m happy that you are here.

Hello. I’m Janice Radl, a public librarian in Northeast Ohio (United States). Over the past decade, I’ve facilitated traditional format, in-person author events and other community events. I am very excited by the P2PU concept and I look forward to facilitating learning circles in our community. Last spring, I started an independent study of chamber music. It’s a slow climb but I know the satisfaction of planning my own course.

1 Like

Greetings @Janice_Radl Glad to have you here! I think learning circles will certainly add to your pedagogical repertoire :slight_smile: You might also have some ideas to contribute to a recent post that I shared about learning models for some work with are doing with a library in Pittsburgh.

Might you also be working with Akron?

Greetings from Vaishali. I am Assistant Professor in Physics and want to create Open Educational Resources for the students who are unreached.

1 Like

Hi Vaishali, great to have you!

We would love to talk to you more about how to create more OER. Here are a few posts that might be useful for you to understand how we are currently approaching OER development:

Peer to Peer University – 16 May 19

Creating an open course with P2PU

Two of our objectives this year are to improve the learning circle training materials and to implement a better workflow for people who want to create open courses for learning circles. So in March…

Google Doc > Markdown script for Course in a Box Tech

We’ve outlined our process for creating online courses in a recent blogpost. We’re trying to get a sense of whether others are interested in / would utilize a tool that converted Google Docs to Markdown-formatted modules within a Github repo. So far we’ve developed: A script: https://github.com/p2pu/facilitate-course/blob/gh-pages/gdoc2ciab.py A formatting template: P2PU Google Doc Template - Google Docs

Tell us more about what you are hoping to achieve, with which audiences and where exactly, and we’ll try to help you move forward,

Nico

Greetings! I am Binh, a PT librarian from San Jose Public Library, Tully Branch. I am new to learning circle and I would like to learn more from this learning group and facilitators so that I can master the skills to help our library customers to benefit from online learning.
in the past, I supported many students in Vietnam to register and learn online from Coursera and get free certificates from Coursera in cooperation with other U.S. Universities.
Hope to “meet” many of you online.
Have a great day.
Binh

1 Like
  • Who am I?
    I am Adrien, living between China and Japan.

• What motivated you to join P2PU
    I have been learning for these last years alone online. Html, CSS, a little JS, Freecodecamp, team treehouse, code school, and Moocs from EdX, Coursera, etc. I love it but it’s freezing and lonely out there.

• What you’re hoping to achieve here
    I love to build projects. And the current ones are about a free web full-stack bootcamp so that I can learn and reach my objectives with a team with similar goals.
    I just landed in Tokyo after 18 years in China. I found a space that I want to organize so I can welcome learners and makers, build a UX Design lab place (I am searching for an installation kit) and start working on entrepreneurship course.
    I created a program with different courses path curriculum following extensive online research. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, I’m not sure yet) I came to the conclusion that doing/creating online program does not make any sense with all that is reachable of quality, free for all and on-demand everywhere you look on the web.
    What I found interesting in the P2P learning concept/method/set-of-tools is the empowering aspect of it. Suddenly I feel great no to be an expert and facilitating anyway. It is liberating.
    It will give me time to make mistakes and improve the course path again and again. I have the list of all moocs necessary.
    One thing that I have not solved is Moocs are created unequal. In a course path including different moocs, all have at least 20 to 40% unusable, unactionable or unnecessary modules. So I am searching for a more API way to do it.

• Something that you recently learned
    Difficult to answer. I am and love learning every day and it’s a blessing and a curse :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi! My name is Dawn and I’m new to P2PU. I work at the Akron Summit County Public Library as a technology trainer. I have been training for the last 12 and a half years. I love my job. I love libraries. I can’t wait to see what exciting things I will learn from P2PU and all of you.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Patty and work for Akron-Summit County Public Library. We will be offering public classes this fall. I’m excited to see what develops from these classes.

2 Likes

Hi all,

My name is Dana and I’m a full-time librarian for the San Jose Public Library system.

I joined P2PU so I could take training to become a Learning Circle Facilitator. I plan to offer a learning circle to our local library patrons in the next few months.

I’m looking forward to connecting with other facilitators to exchange ideas and share support. Scrolling through this discussion thread, I can see this is definitely the right place for that!

Hmm…I recently learned to make homemade granola! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

HI Dana,
It is nice meeting you online. I am the person who sat next to you at the Learning Circle training last week.
Please keep in touch.
Best,
Binh

1 Like

Hi @Dana_Lema! For granola, I’ve always heard that you should combine 6 parts dry ingredients with 1 part wet ingredient. What’s your take? What do you put in your granola?

Hi Dawn! Great to be connected. We work a lot with folks who support people to engage with technology from basic computer literacy to much higher level tech learning programs. I’m curious, what groups, networks, organizations related to your work inspire you these days?

Hi Binh,

Good to hear from you. Learning circles haven’t run in Vietnam to my knowledge, but if you have any networks or partners that might be interested in taking part, please feel free to connect us.

Good luck in San Jose!

Nico

Yes. Akron-Summit County Public Library.

1 Like

Hello Dario,
I did not see your request for a list of free online digital literacy sites until just now. Better late than never, we say. Here’s the link to it. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wLQLNpwtzVA4oWnYCv5tUzorLMLHlMv7CMPP5HbCgN0/edit

David

David J. Rosen
djrosen123@gmail.com

1 Like

Hi, My name is Eduardo Bonsi. I am here to learn, teach and meet others. You can read more about me by visiting my profile. Also, I am part of the Internet Society/IETF, Internet Engineer Task Force. Presently, I am holding the role of Network Admin. I am managing a home server and I would like to teach others to develop their server on the Mac OS X Client. I will provide all the learning materials and post an article from each software installation and configuration. Welcome to connect!

2 Likes

Welcome @Eduardo_Bonsi! I moved your post to our list of introductions.

We’re looking forward to seeing these learning materials. I’ll follow up with a few of your notes about the Internet Society shortly.

1 Like

Thanks, Nico, @Nico_Koenig

Yes, this is only the beginning of many more. Besides this course, I am presenting a proposal to the City of Healdsburg to build a telecommunications mesh network in my community through the Internet Society. I do have the experience of building a home server and doing this mesh network project will be fun. My idea, after we finish our mesh network is to extend this invitation to our cities and communities in the United States to have their backup plan for emergencies. I will be sure to put all that in writing and teach others how to do it!

Talk to you soon,
E\

2 Likes