Improving work in our distributed team

Please leash out the ideas of how would you improve the work for us, or just simply get in to the emotional side of you if something makes you really happy or really sad about your life as a P2PU-er or just in general (remember no matter what happens we are friends too and chances are we can help).

And here are some tools that are suggested to make yourself not as lonely if sometimes you do feel that. One was already revealed by @dirk the other day I tried it out and it is kinda cool, but the downside is that is not exactly free (still I think it is something to think about).

Our office hours on hipchat are gonna be cool as well, but please my (new) friends lets try to make it work, let us put some effort in that part of us as well…

It feels like this conversation is popping up from all directions. Talked a bit about this with @vanessa on Friday.

I think we need to put in some effort is to collaborate or integrate more with local communities with similar goals. There is a certain aspect of face to face interaction that no technology can replace.

But back on your previous point, I support office hours completely!

I know @1L2P tries to find funds for us all to come together face-to-face whenever he can. And it’s really important.

I wonder if it would be useful for new P2PU staff to have a “buddy”–either a community member, or fellow staff (or both). This could be your go-to-person for a weekly coffee break over the internet, or you could send them a list of questions week-to-week.

Agree with connecting to local communities–and I’ve been trying to do this as much as possible–but we also need staff calls. I love our distributedness, but I don’t love a 100% asynchronous culture. Face time! Face tiiiiiiiime!

@VMG: I’m delighted to hear you want Staff calls. @1L2P and I had a long talk about this last week and couldn’t figure out if they would be useful or not (legacy is that they weren’t amazing, and tended to devolve into boring admin, but that was a long time ago) so I’m more than happy to bring them back. I like them too.

And yes, office hours too.

@vanessa I like how we do think in this direction, but please do tell a bit more about who would this new staff people be. I mean are we planing on getting new people in the feature or they just go in to the category of ppl who work with us?

And this buddy idea is cool, one thing I am concerned about is: will that person who gets the buddy then, just get to know us trough buddies eyes? I guess what I am trying to say is we just offer one person than, diversity of “us” is kinda loses. If we get a really shy person in our circles they would probably be using this more of a “hide” to not try to get to know other people. I mean sometimes everyone can be intimidating at first but are quite open once u get over the “formal” wall with them (I have no one in particular in mind here, bcs I think we all can come out as that sometimes even if we try our best not to).
As far as questions go, I do suspect that one needs to know more about the roles of the people they work with in order to know which question is better for which person to answer so with the new staff I think this idea can be pretty good as long as their buddies pushes them to actually make contact with other stuff as well.

The other day @1L2P opened a topic about introducing ourselves and I thing it is very important that we do that and I do mean everyone that comes to the discourse page not just the “core staff”.

So I guess I had a lot to say…

I’m totally open to staff calls. One thing Bekka and I weren’t sure about is, how are staff calls different from community calls? What are the things we’d like to talk about where we don’t want anyone else listening in? I think we should push ourselves to be as open as possible, which means limiting staff calls to things that really can’t be discussed openly. But we should absolutely have private spaces to discuss things that can’t be open. Why don’t we use one of the upcoming office hours for a staff call?

1 Like