Home page feedback for p2pu.org needed

Dearest of friends and colleagues,

as you may or may not know we have started to work on improving the home page for the p2pu.org.
First mockup is on and is visible here. Now we would like for you to give us your feedback,
so if you have expertise of design, UX, surfing the web, online learning, being human being,… (in short all walks of life), please stop by and give your feedback.

Notice, that this is mockup and it is just that, so there is plenty of copy typos (some are even very raw and are more ideas than anything else), design glitches (there is plenty and we are aware of that, nevertheless please mention it here),…

We feel this is quite important since this is our introduction to the visitors of p2pu.org, our ID if sorts.

Feel free to contribute with ideas on how to best represent us.

Thank you in advance!

This looks really great. Here is my feedback:

• As much as I love the opening lines – “Learning with others is more FUN!
    MEET NEW PEOPLE, GET NEW SKILLS, HAVE LOTS OF FUN AND DO IT ALL FOR FREE!” – the font is a bit juvenile, esp. if we are catering to various audiences, some more professional or older lifelong learners. I would also revise the text so that it is applicable to a more diverse and global audience… I know that right now is not the copyediting stage, but happy to help when that time comes.
  • I’m assuming that Take a Tour page (http://p2pu.github.io/p2pu_homepage_mockup/browse_courses.html) will link to the appropriate pages? eg. first step is to register should link to registration page.
  • I love the Schools section. But is there a method to the ordering? I sort of think SOO should be nearer to the top as we have been more active than a lot of the schools. Shouldn’t Schools with an active organizer be listed first? Just my two cents.
  • I would love to see how the menu looks up top - the P2PU with a carrot. Nothing pop ups for me at the moment and I wonder what is listed.
  • Let’s not forget to link the license at the bottom and also include a link to the license page/rationale.
  • Are we going to keep the footer stuff - eg. about, TOU, dif languages, etc? That all needs to be reflected somewhere.

This is my initial two cents. Happy to offer more and help iterate as plans solidify.

Green

I really like that every section has its own color and icon to go with it but all in a similar style so they are unified but unique.

The take a tour flow chart is a great idea! Very cool, can’t wait to see it develop.

It definitely points out all the different components of P2PU whereas the old page really just showcases courses.

Yellow

All of the sections except the Schools basically fit on a single page without scrolling. Maybe organize them as squares in a grid to try and get the same feel? I think it’s a good feel for the intros/summaries.

I don’t particularly like the textured background but I don’t like textures in general. I think it’s called skeuomorphism? Making stuff on a computer look like real life objects.

I liked the old intro line of “LEARN ANYTHING WITH YOUR PEERS IT’S ONLINE AND TOTALLY FREE.”

Red

none

Thank you Jane and Tim. You have some good points and I am happy to discuss it over with you.

The plan is to start building proper copies after we make plan with Vanessa (she is available on Wednesday) and then I wold love both of your help as we develop.

I would alse like to invite everyone to stop by and give their “two cents” like Jane and Tim, so I will just tag people to nidge them a bit.
Help @JoaoMenezes @JohnMartin @jos @jessykate @BrunoNunes @Bruno
and even tho some people had been active in making the mockup I would still like you guys to help me develop the conversation about it here @bekka @1L2P @dirk @vanessa
Feel free to bring other people to the conversation as well.

1 Like

Green

• I like the fresh aproach
  • The dropdown menu is really nice! @janeatp2pu it doesn’t work for me when I click the carrot, but if I click on the logo it opens
  • Love the multi-coloured divider!

Yellow

• The look-n-feel of p2pu.org, badges.p2pu.org, info.p2pu.org are diverging rather than converging.
  • No top level navigation
  • There’s a lot of information on 1 page.
  • The logo is small and grey by default
  • Should sign in be on the front page. What if I sign in and then go to thepeople.p2pu.org
  • There is no distinction between meta and learning related activities.
  • The contents of the dropdown menu doesn’t make sense. This should be the most important stuff and stuff we want to link to from any P2PU web property.
  • There needs to be a link back to the top in every section.
  • Schools & MOOCs requires some extra explanaton?
  • Should community link to discourse, show a people page or list featured users on badges.p2pu.org or courses?
  • Featured courses, blog posts, etc takes a back seat.
  • Icons for Schools, MOOCs and Courses need some work :slight_smile:

Red

• We’re not doing search well atm, maybe it shouldn’t be on our homepage so prominently before we have it working well…
  • “Take a tour” seems like a great idea, but maybe we should work on that separately?

Green

• Like the look in general

Yellow

• I’m tempted to copy and paste Dirk’s items here; Agree with most so think of this as a +1 for all suggestions.
  • Take a tour is cool, but needs a back button

Red

• I believe community and what we are talking about are the same thing and should be merged.
  • Find confusing the fact that the links in ‘Find here:’ and the headings of the sections are different. If I click on ‘courses’ the heading reads ‘Learn something new’; if I click on ‘badges’ I read ‘Get feedback for a project’, which confuses me the most.
  • The footer is now a hidden header? O_o
  • I’d lose the capitals in the intro line

Hi folks
I know this is a work in progress, so these are some very initial impressions…

Green

• Love the hand-drawn lettering - I think it brings a great "maker"
    feel to the whole page.
  • Take a tour layout is beautiful, and works really well.

Yellow

• Does the gallery of pics in the “We Are” section scroll? It would be
    cool if it did, so everyone gets some airtime, but a lot of people
    don’t have profile pics. Hmmm, a conundrum…
  • Generally, when it comes time to do the text, I would replace “give a course” with “run a course”. More active.

Red

• One of the big concerns for us has been how to bridge the gap between “users” who come, take a course, and the community. Should we consider moving the prompt to join the conversation higher up?
  • Overall, there isn’t a lot of “This is who we are and what we’re about” text. I know not everyone reads that stuff, but I do, and I think it’s important to have it easily findable, if not right upfront.

Most of my critical points are related to changes that aren’t really necessary at this point (e.g. design, tagline). Let’s first fix the things that are really broken about the homage, then we can get into improving other things later.

Green

• Clear sections, and like the way the page scrolls between them (yes, agree with others that needs more fine-tuning, but overall love it)
  • Love the drop down top menu (but content needs to be updated)

Yellow

• Inconsistent design language for icons. Some are hand-drawn (Community), others in color (Badges), others black and white schematics (MOOCs), and one is a corporate logo (Wordpress).
  • Tagline takes up too much space. I want to see the main section blocks without scrolling.
  • Get rid of unnecessary headings, e.g. “Find here” (it’s obvious)
  • Make headings / titles consistent (see other comments)
  • Make “Sign In” look like “P2PU” header button.
  • Get rid of “Learn about” search box (I am not against search, but the usability of our search doesn’t have enough value to the user - placing the box there will make it one of the obvious first things to do, and because we don’t have good search and the breadth of our courses is limited, too many topics will result in no results = big frustration).
  • Love the idea of Take A Tour, but would focus that on the boxes of what is covered on the homepage, rather than the typical course experience.

Red

• Tagline, esp. the focus on Fun as the most important aspect of the P2PU experience. Let’s stick to our current headline, or the original P2PU headline “Learning by everyone. For everyone. About almost anything.” Both of those were the result of significant discussion and consensus.
  • Design - Too much change to P2PU design identity. Specifically:
    • Textured backgrounds
    • Hand-drawn font
    • Icons next to section headers (e.g. the three people next to We are)
  • Top navigation (across all P2PU sites) dose’nt makes sense yet

Most of my critical points are related to changes that aren’t really necessary at this point (e.g. design, tagline). Let’s first fix the things that are really broken about the homage, then we can get into improving other things later.

Green

• Clear sections, and like the way the page scrolls between them (yes, agree with others that needs more fine-tuning, but overall love it)
  • Love the drop down top menu (but content needs to be updated)

Yellow

• Inconsistent design language for icons. Some are hand-drawn (Community), others in color (Badges), others black and white schematics (MOOCs), and one is a corporate logo (Wordpress).
  • Tagline takes up too much space. I want to see the main section blocks without scrolling.
  • Get rid of unnecessary headings, e.g. “Find here” (it’s obvious)
  • Make headings / titles consistent (see other comments)
  • Make “Sign In” look like “P2PU” header button.
  • Get rid of “Learn about” search box (I am not against search, but the usability of our search doesn’t have enough value to the user - placing the box there will make it one of the obvious first things to do, and because we don’t have good search and the breadth of our courses is limited, too many topics will result in no results = big frustration).
  • Love the idea of Take A Tour, but would focus that on the boxes of what is covered on the homepage, rather than the typical course experience.

Red

• Tagline, esp. the focus on Fun as the most important aspect of the P2PU experience. Let’s stick to our current headline, or the original P2PU headline “Learning by everyone. For everyone. About almost anything.” Both of those were the result of significant discussion and consensus.
  • Design - Too much change to P2PU design identity. Specifically:
    • Textured backgrounds
    • Hand-drawn font
    • Icons next to section headers (e.g. the three people next to We are)
  • Top navigation (across all P2PU sites) dose’nt makes sense yet

I guess discourse felt that @1L2P’s feedback is so important, that it had to post it twice :smile:

Thanks for all of your feedback I have more general idea about what you guys think we should do with it and will make appropriate changes.

Hey Erika!
Our group (@BrunoNunes, @Bruno) is doing a quick recommendation list, to help you out on improving the page. We’ll posted it asap, as soon as we finish our chat ;-D

1 Like

I am waiting …

yep still waiting …

aha still waiting …

:smile:

OK, getting serious now:
I am really grateful that you guys are helping out. If you would like you can always get even more involved ( I still need design like icons and better images, etc.)

I moved 4 posts to a new topic: ‘Take a Tour’ page on p2pu.org

Just saw the new rolled out home page, it looks awesome!