Course-in-a-Box File Structure, Typesetting Layout

#Learning #Course-in-a-Box

Hello @grif, @dirk First, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to had developed this program. I am reaching towards the end, building the structure of my Course and, I have some questions related to page formatting.

When I started to use the template of Course-in-a-Box, I realized that some beginning pages had their format and I believe is connected to a CSS formatting page as well. The pages that I am referring to are;

https://github.com/ebonsi/course-in-a-box/blob/gh-pages/modules/tutorial/_posts/2000-01-01-start.markdown

https://github.com/ebonsi/course-in-a-box/blob/gh-pages/index.md

Since I did not create these pages but only started to use them as a template,

… I would like to learn more about how these pages inherit those marked attributes accordingly to the whole development structure.

In HTML, we can call a stylesheet by inserting link codes on a page as;

<link rel="stylesheet" href="assets/css/css-name.css">

This is a link that will call the external attributes of a CSS file.

Here, in this case, the link is not calling any external file but refers to the same file;

<html>
<head>
    <style type="text/css">
    .title {
        color: blue;
        text-decoration: bold;
        text-size: 1em;
    }

.author {
        color: gray;
    }
    </style>
</head>
<body>
    <p>
    <span class="title">Film Name</span>
    <span class="author">Some Author</span>
    </p>
</body>
</html>

page-layout-structure-01a

Saying that, I would like to how do you created these indications on the top of the page in which are invisible to the online website page?

Thanks!

Hi @Eduardo_Bonsi

Course in a Box uses Jekyll, which defines the things you are asking about

The data you mention in the image is called front matter. This can be used for many things, but one of those things is the layout of a page.

So if I understand your questions right, you are asking how to define layout and style on a page - you can do this by updating the layout. This page, /modules/tutorial/_posts/2000-01-01-start.markdown uses this layout.

We created course in a box to be easy to get a course set up while only requiring that you author content in Markdown. At the same time, it also allows greater customization that a course platform would, but such usage is out of the scope of what we can support freely.

1 Like

Thanks, @dirk, I initially meant to send this thread to you but when put the name, somehow I end up to confuse your address with @grif 's name. Anyway, thanks for your answer! I will look into it.