30 percent feedback

Just quickly glazed over this article: http://blog.42floors.com/thirty-percent-feedback/

Boils down to asking feedback when things are 30% done in order to get constructive feedback at a time you can still change a lot. This apposed to asking feedback when it’s 90% done and ending up with a spell check and a pat on the back.

@vanessa any thoughts on this since you are the feedback expert :smile:

On first reading, I would say that I think it totally depends on what you’re working on.

I’m not convinced that what works for software, for example, is the same as what works for a report. And it depends on what you want from the feedback. Are you looking for guidance, approval, selling buy-in or help? All of those are a different ask.

Good points you make, I agree. I think the audience also comes into play. To make the discussion more concrete, what type of feedback should we be seeking from the P2PU community and at what stage? Does it differ for different projects?

What do you think, Dirk?

I think I have seeked 30% feedback in the past and received 90% percent feedback… But I still believe that it is important to get 30% feedback. 90% feedback is important to ensure quality, but I don’t think that it helps to develop shared ownership. And I think that we need shared ownership to be successful.

1 Like

I agree that timing and expectations are key. It depends on the type of work, the people who can give feedback (and what is the best use of their time, e.g. I would not ask one of our board member for a final edit or spellcheck). Some ideas are best shared at 10% because they really shouldn’t ever go further than that :smile:

1 Like

depends on the type of job of course - some work with earlier feedback, some unnecessary, but my general thought would be that often rather than getting 30% feedback is worth getting 0% clarification - ie when getting the job make sure you pitch it back to the instructor, to make sure you’re 100% on same page, before starting any work at all. Often I feel the 30% feedback request is really just a ‘is this right? am I doing what you asked for?’ which is another way of saying ‘I wasn’t 100% confident I understood the instructions, so wasted 30% time coz wasn’t comfortable seeking clarification at the start (or didn’t think to)’. Put another way, take time at start to think thru all parts of job, and if you need clarification ask as soon as (reasonable after) you think of it.

Tho I agree that in other circumstances genuine 30% feedback can be good, eg to show people what their very clear instructions are leading toward is not what people hoped…

Makes sense - I think one of the problems with clarification is that even if you’re 100% sure at the start it is only once you start doing that some things comes out. Still, clarification is important as you say.

Yes true - if genuinely unforseeable then can’t be penalized (and shouldn’t
be criticized!) for coming back early and seeking more input/instruction.