The Science of Well-Being (Yale University)

What recommendations do you have for other facilitators who are using "The Science of Well-Being"? Consider sharing additional resources you found helpful, activities that worked particularly well, and some reflections on who this course is best suited for. For more information, see this course on P2PU’s course page.

I just came across this extensive article that summarizes the contents of this course and its lectures:

Read This Story and Get Happier
The most popular course at Yale teaches how to be happy. We took it for you.

@Barb_White and @Patrick_Manning hello! Our library system is going to offer a 4-week version of the Science of Well-Being course and we see that Akron-Summit County Public Library offered a 4-week version in April. Did someone happen to create a fabulous Facilitator’s Guide for your series? @Johanna_Lowenberg and I would love to see what you decided to focus on and how it worked out for you - thanks for your help!

Hi Steph.

Our April sessions were cancelled, affected by the Covid response (we were closed as a library).

We are re-introducing this course starting this week. I will pass along any facilitator’s guidance our librarians have created.

Pat

I attended a 6-week virtual learning circle based on this course right at the beginning of the pandemic, hosted by @Ulonda_Slaughter and a few of her colleagues at Charlotte Mecklenburg Library. I know they planned to run it again, and they may have some facilitation materials or insights they can share?

If they didn’t create a facilitation guide for this course, I’d be happy to share records of the weekly reflection emails sent to us participants. They did a great job communicating what we learned and sharing instructions for the next week all via email.

Hey Steph,

Like @Becky_Margraf mentioned, Ulonda Slaughter, myself, and a few others have offered this course as a Learning Circle a few times both during and after the quarantine, and we have a fairly detailed week-by-week breakdown doc you might be interested in reading. I’ll try and link that document here. I think a 4-week version is doable but may require a lot of tweaking since the rewirments in the course require a lot of time investment to be evaluated as habits and in my experience attendees also wanted to spend a lot of our meeting times having discussions–that may impact whether you want to watch the content together or separately. Hope any of this helps!

–Rob
Happiness Learning Circle.pdf (660.3 KB)

1 Like

Y’all are amazing - thank you so much!

Thanks so much for sharing all of this info, Rob!

I’m reposting here all of the insights reports that have been generated from this course so far:

1 Like

Exciting news - our Reader Services Librarian, who coordinates our Everybody Reads program, has asked us to offer the Science of Well-Being (SWB) LC again, starting in March. Based on current learners feedback, we’ll be offering the course as intended (full 10 weeks, 1 x/wk) with 10 learners. This year, our Everybody Reads title is Ross Gay’s The Book of Delights: https://multcolib.org/everybody-reads.
Question for the P2PU community - any recommendations on how to offer to have a multiplier effect with this learning circle - get ore community members involved? Our LC team has expressed interest in offering to our Latinx community, landline patrons - we’re finding that this course is creating some amazing connections and practical learnings for attendees and it would be amazing to offer this opportunity to more community members - we’re open to any and all suggestions and thanks for sharing your thoughts!

1 Like

Exciting news! Looking forward to hearing how the full program goes. :smile:

If you have specific audiences you’re hoping to support like the examples you shared, it may be helpful to collaborate with folks already organizing local events or resources for those groups. They’ll likely have an existing network of people they can reach out to, a good idea of what their community’s needs are, and how to effectively advertise the learning circle to get participants.

Thanks Becky - these are great ideas! Based on the current offering with @Johanna_Lowenberg and @Sean_Dixon, we hope to get a great turnout in March - we would love additional ideas on how we can amplify the learning beyond the 10 folks who would be able to join the learning circle to involve more members of the community - have any orgs made the leap to offering the content and structure of a learning circle for community members to create their own groups? Or re-packaged content to distribute in involve more community members? Recruited a group of volunteers to offer many instances of a learning circle more broadly?

This course received a 5 star rating from a participant!

Is there anything else that you learned or achieved during the learning circle?
There was much to think about and I would like to rewatch the videos along with the notes I have taken.

Do you feel more confident about what you just learned in The Science of Well-Being ?

How do you intend to apply what you learned?
I walk most everyday. I didn’t realize its benefits and I hope that motivates me on the days when I procrastinate.

How well did the online course work as a learning circle?

Why did you give the course 5 star/stars?
I thoroughly enjoyed the class and discussion.

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
It was great fun and I have friends that I think would enjoy it.

course
The Science of Well-Being

This course received a 4 star rating from a facilitator!

What did you hope to achieve when you signed up to facilitate this learning circle?
Provide community members a virtual program that will enhance their sense of well-being.

To what extent did you achieve this?

Did anything about the learning circle surprise you?
The response to a virtual program was much greater than we’ve ever received for in-person learning circles.

Do you have any stories from the learning circle you want to share with the P2PU community?
I was pleased to have other librarians from different parts of the country participate.

About how many people showed up for the first meeting?

About how many people showed up for the second meeting?

About how many people showed up for the last meeting?

Why did you give the course 4 star(s)?
The content is well-done, but there is a LOT of it. We were not able to watch and discuss all of the videos as a group.

How likely are you to recommend facilitating a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
It’s an easy “program in a box” where you can access deep content with minimal preparation.

Knowledge on what makes me happy, my strengths

Do you feel more confident about what you just learned in The Science of Well-Being ?

I attend to apply all of the tips and work them into my daily habits

Presenters and content were awesome

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
This was a great way to learn, and even in 6 weeks I can see that we built a little community around learning this class together.

course

The leaders of the group have done an excellent job.

Use the WOOP technique

Because I had tried this on my own and I found that I really wanted to share my learning with other people and get their insites.

Why?
Well organized, excellent group.

course

This course received a 4 star rating from a participant!

What did you hope to achieve when you joined this learning circle?
Connection, learning

Got much more comfortable with Zoom

Incrementally and intentionally

Why did you give the course 4 star/stars?
Really excellent, just wish the learning circle went longer

Why?
Felt connected for the first time in a very long time

course

To be able to connect with other while learning and encouraging.

Different people are having different strengths and weakness.

Yes definitely.

It provides the components what I expected and more.

Why?
Learning experiences and opportunity which are worth to share with others who haven’t tried it yet.

course

This course received a 4 star rating from a participant!

Achieved a sense of connectedness with the group, which helped me in this extra hard time.

Write thank-you letters and notes; set a regular practice for walking, meditation/breathing, and journaling; focus more on gratitude and my core character strengths (fairness, creativity, curiosity, appreciation of beauty, humor).

Why did you give the course 4 star/stars?
[The facilitators] are great!! The whole class and classmates are great, but it would be better set as a once-a-week class for 10 weeks, as already noted in class!

Why?
Because they are worthwhile and interesting!

course

Understanding the sciences linked to well-being

The connection to others; how crucial it is to be together and hear each other’s stories

Already in application in thought and in action

It was just the right combination - of course work and discussion

Why?
Everything intended in the course is targeted to serve you. You will walk away with clarity

course