Science of Happiness (TED TALKS)

What recommendations do you have for other facilitators who are using "Science of Happiness"? Consider sharing additional resources you found helpful, activities that worked particularly well, and some reflections on who this course is best suited for. For more information, see this course on P2PU’s course page.

Was this course based on just the one 20 minute TED talk? Was it a one-meeting learning circle?

On this topic I have tried for over two years to build up a learning group in German language. It did not work. Now I have focused my topic on people who feel alone and it works better. Nevertheless I am still very interested in the bigger topic.

1 Like

Hi Ruth! I’d love to know more about how you’re approaching this topic and loneliness in your learning groups. Can you share some of the concepts you cover or the way you structure your meetings? I’m glad to hear you’ve found an effective approach to this challenging topic!

Julie, I looked through the records for learning circles that used this material in the past and wasn’t able to find a clear indication of how they used this talk or if they supplemented it with other learning materials.

I know The Science of Well-Being has been run as a learning circle a few times this year (I joined one myself!), and it provides a much larger range of material to work with. It’s a good mix of things to learn about with flexible activities that reinforce the concepts.

Firstly i am introducing the concept of loneliness from John Cacioppo. Then Self-Compassion (Christoph Germer) and Positive Emotion (Barbara Fredrickson). Circles of Connectedness and Friendly Culture (Vivek Murthy), Vulnerability (Brené Brown) and Woop (Gabriele Oettingen). I am actually combining Presentation with Workbook-Sheets and exchange in a Small Group.

Thank you so much for sharing! This sounds like a really valuable collection of learning materials. Are these all sources that you were already familiar with? How did you decide how to present them to your learners? And did you make the workbook sheets to go along with your concepts or find them somewhere?

Hi Becky, yes i was familiar with the sources. The workbook sheets are part of the course which is changing between video and single work on the sheets.
What are you doing? Why are you interested in these questions?
Are you planning to work on a course yourself?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! I’m interested for a few reasons. :slightly_smiling_face:

I work for P2PU and am focused on making facilitating easier and more effective, so I’m always eager to learn more about how people are customizing learning materials for their learning groups. I also live in Berlin, so I’m interested in how to support my colleagues in Germany in finding or creating resources to support German learners.

Personally, I’m interested in facilitating learning circles on well-being and happiness, so I’m investigating different strategies and paths into this topic. I like the idea of curating a collection of concepts like you have, especially when they center around a specific group of learners (like those who feel lonely).