Science & Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science (physics) (Harvard University)

What recommendations do you have for other facilitators who are using "Science & Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science (physics)"? Consider sharing additional resources you found helpful, activities that worked particularly well, and some reflections on who this course is best suited for. For more information, see this course on P2PU’s course page.

This course received a 5 star rating from a facilitator!

Did anything about the learning circle surprise you?
I was hoping for a larger number of participants, but “Zoom” fatigue and the difficulty of the subject, which involves equations, may explain the low turnout.

Do you have any stories from the learning circle you want to share with the P2PU community?
We had a lot of fun talking about food, learning the science behind recipes from chefs and scientists, and exchanging about our life and experiences in general.

About how many people showed up for the first meeting?

About how many people showed up for the second meeting?

About how many people showed up for the last meeting?

How well did the online course work as a learning circle?

Why did you give the course 5 star(s)?
The content is quite polished and entertaining, and offers a relatable context and motivation (food) for learning physics. The structure of the course also allows the facilitator to favor either recipes or equations as an entry point to the physics of cooking, depending on the audience.

How likely are you to recommend facilitating a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
Learning circles can be a joyful experience allowing to meet people outside of your normal environment, through sharing a common interest.

course
Science & Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science (physics)

goal
Learn about the science of cooking, contribute to a learning community, and spend good moments with other participants.

This course received a 5 star rating from a participant!

Is there anything else that you learned or achieved during the learning circle?
Yes!

Do you feel more confident about what you just learned in Science & Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science (physics) ?

How do you intend to apply what you learned?
Cooking with more confidence

Why did you give the course 5 star/stars?
Very well organized

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
Loved it

This course received a 4 star rating from a participant!

Is there anything else that you learned or achieved during the learning circle?
Learned practical, everyday uses for the information

Do you feel more confident about what you just learned in Science & Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science (physics) ?

How do you intend to apply what you learned?
Application was made clear in the course through recipes. It was very much a main characteristic that I particularly enjoyed

Why did you give the course 4 star/stars?
Time had to be taken for each new person to navigate the site and course. And it was a bit fussy even with regulars to navigate to needed material. But it did improve over time

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
I enjoyed the experience and I am excited about what I was learning. But it seems more suited to outgoing personalities and people with time to spare