Introduction to Key Constitutional Concepts and Supreme Court Cases (University of Pennsylvania)

What recommendations do you have for other facilitators who are using "Introduction to Key Constitutional Concepts and Supreme Court Cases"? Consider sharing additional resources you found helpful, activities that worked particularly well, and some reflections on who this course is best suited for. For more information, see this course on P2PU’s course page.

This course received a 5 star rating from a participant!

What did you hope to achieve when you joined this learning circle?
to better understand constitutional issues

To what extent did you achieve this?

Is there anything else that you learned or achieved during the learning circle?
alternative points of view in interpreting the constitution

Do you feel more confident about what you just learned in Introduction to Key Constitutional Concepts and Supreme Court Cases ?

How do you intend to apply what you learned?
It has already improved by ability to interact in civil discourse.

How well did the online course work as a learning circle?

Why did you give the course 5 star/stars?
The group contributed a lot and I’m sorry to see the course end.

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
Participants should be open to different opinions and in these time not everyone is.

Learn more about the Constitution, get other’s perspectives

Great, thought provoking conversations

Do you feel more confident about what you just learned in Introduction to Key Constitutional Concepts and Supreme Court Cases ?

Share with friends and family in conversation

Great way to instill the information, better than just reading on my own

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
Great opportunity to learn and share, meet my “neighbors”

This course received a 4 star rating from a facilitator!

What did you hope to achieve when you signed up to facilitate this learning circle?
Civil discourse from people of differing political persuasions. A chance to learn from other points of view regarding the course subject and material.

Did anything about the learning circle surprise you?
I was impressed with how civil everyone was, even regarding hot button issues. I got new perspectives on some things.

Do you have any stories from the learning circle you want to share with the P2PU community?
Our learning circle was about the U.S. Constitution. We talked a bit about civic engagement. Our last class was at the same time as a presidential debate. One participant apologized for not being present for class. After our discussions, he felt a civic obligation to watch the debate. The learning circle helped inform his opinions as he watched.

About how many people showed up for the first meeting?

About how many people showed up for the second meeting?

About how many people showed up for the last meeting?

Why did you give the course 4 star(s)?
The instructor maintained neutrality throughout the class, which was vital for our intended audience. The videos were in easy to digest chunks, and supplemental material was available. We should have split the last class into two sessions. There was a bit too much to cover in one, and it involved some controversial subjects, so lots of discussion.

How likely are you to recommend facilitating a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
It is both fun and challenging.

I wanted to learn more about the Constitution and discuss it with others.

Yes. I learned about the changes to the Constitution and how social movements affect it, and how the Supreme Court decides things.

Because I have a different perspective now, I will answer and approach some things differently. I have hope that I can make a difference.

We were constantly learning, and had plenty of things to discuss in our circle.

Why?
It has been a great experience! I learned, I got to associate with others and even see them without a mask on. In a short, free class there was just enough pressure to keep me going, and in the circle there was encouragement.

course
Introduction to Key Constitutional Concepts and Supreme Court Cases