How To Talk About Race (Amrita S. Patel + Denise LaForce)

What recommendations do you have for other facilitators who are using "How To Talk About Race"? Consider sharing additional resources you found helpful, activities that worked particularly well, and some reflections on who this course is best suited for. For more information, see this course on P2PU’s course page.

I’n new to this so I have some questions. Is there a group I can join already? I’d like to be a participant in a group like this How would I find out the procedure to join specific groups?

Hi Diane, welcome!

Since this course just launched, there aren’t any existing groups running yet. The best way to participate in one soon would be to run it yourself for your peers or local community—check out our Facilitate page for tips on how to get started. The course is set up to make facilitation easy and includes instructions/prompts for each activity, so you should be able to navigate through the materials without much extra prep work.

If you’d prefer to just participate rather than run the group, keep an eye on this page to see when learning circles using this course are available for sign-up.

Glad to have you here! Feel free to reply in this thread or email thepeople@p2pu.org if you have any other questions about getting started with learning circles. :smiley:

This course received a rating from a facilitator!

When you signed up, we asked what you hoped to achieve by facilitating a learning circle, and you wrote "Facilitation skills ". To what extent did you achieve this?

Did anything about the learning circle surprise you?
How smoothly it went – the participants were engaged and respectful of each other.

Do you have any stories from the learning circle you want to share with the P2PU community?
Nothing specific, but I’m happy we were able to create an environment where participants felt safe and supported.

You recorded in your weekly feedback that 9 participant(s) attended the first meeting. Is this correct?
Yes

You recorded in your weekly feedback that 8 participant(s) attended the second meeting. Is this correct?
Yes

About how many people showed up for the last meeting?

How well did the online course work as a learning circle?

Why did you give the course 4 star(s)?
I always leave room for improvement, but the feedback from the participants was good. Everyone felt they learned something and thought deeply about the subject.

How likely are you to recommend facilitating a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
Having the materials ready-to-go was a huge help. It took the pressure off of finding content & allowed the facilitators to learn alongside group members.

This course received a rating from a participant!

Is there anything else that you learned or achieved during the learning circle?
I learned how pervasive systemic racism is.

Do you feel more confident about what you just learned in How To Talk About Race ?

How do you intend to apply what you learned?
I hope to use my newfound information in daily life. When presented with erroneous information, I will quote the correct information.

Why did you give the course 5 star/stars?
The facilitators were very adept in helping the group feel welcome and safe. The participants were also respectful and compassionate.

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
I think it is a good way for peers to exchange ideas.

Hearing about other people’s experience with racism.

Do you feel more confident about what you just learned in How To Talk About Race ?

Be more conscious of others’ experiences.

Why did you give the course 3 star/stars?
Because it was awkward going back and forth with reading and watching then talking.

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
Because I felt it was awkward.

There are some things that I never thought were offensive, but actually are.

I’m not really sure. I would say that I’ll try to be more thoughtful with what I say, but often I don’t know I’m being offensive until after I’ve said something and been called out on it. I will know not to say that going forward, however.

It was easy to follow and enjoyable.

Why?
It was a good experience.

Some great tools for facilitating conversation!

Better able to assess when it’s worth it to keep the conversation going, versus “agree to disagree”

The activities, structure, and time allotted all seemed very appropriate. The facilitators did a really good and sensitive job of keeping us going.

Why?
It has been a very positive experience.

I learned new tools for how to respectfully engage in difficult conversations about race with others.

I intend to take what I learned here into my personal and professional life to contribute to making a more equitable world.

Why did you give the course 4 star/stars?
I think there’s some room for improvement in the format of the course and topics discussed, but overall I thought it was a valuable experience.

Why?
I think peer-to-peer learning is a great, non-intimidating way to tackle a challenging topic for a coworker who might not have a lot of time to devote to PD in general.

A greater understanding of the issues around race, antiracism, and social justice. An appreciation of the resources (articles and videos) that were shared with the group. A feeling of comfort, safety, and inclusion amongst the group while talking about sensitive topics.

This will take quite a lot of thought and follow-up discussions with colleagues. I am not prepared to say just yet how I will apply what I learned other than to be more mindful of listening carefully and actively and being more aware of biases (both my own and others’)

It was the right size group; the breakout sessions mixed in with whole group discussion worked well; the progression of topics made sense; the presentation of resources was thoughtful; discussions were courteous.

Why?
I think it’s a useful way to approach the need to learn more about a subject but don’t feel I have enough experience with learning circles yet to give a wholehearted endorsement to the platform

Learned more about micro aggressions

Share resources with the community and other racial equity groups

Facilitators were excellent. Took some time to get used to accessing resources on Zoom

Why?
Information presented in an engaging simple manner

listening is the most important thing when dealing people. you may think they mean one thing, but they may not. so it is important to ask what a person means by their statement. listen.

i will try to listen more. But also not to ignore comments that I don’t agree with

i think we all became more aware and more able to speak about race.

Why?
this was an opportunity that more people should be involved in.

I learned strategies for having difficult conversations. I learned new terminology and tools for having conversations about race.

I will use what I learned in daily conversation, as a reminder to speak up when I should, and when running programs where the topic leads to conversations about race.

I was very happy with the materials, the preparation of the facilitators, and the conversation among the group members. I felt supported and challenged to learn something new on a complicated and challenging topic.

Why?
It seemed like the learning circle prepared the facilitators well for the discussion and topics

I learned more about white privilege.

I intend to be more vocal in conversations about racism and anti racism.

Because it was successful

Why?
Because learning circles are a great way for a group of people to explore and learn about a topic together.

I learned much more than I expected, yes

ALready applying in everyday situations, constantly mindful that my perception of the world and going through it is not others’

My expectations and hopes were exceeded

Why?
Because it seems really important

I learned terminologies and descriptors pertaining to behaviors surrounding race. I also learned of tools/responses to better facilitate conversation when dealing with conflicts

I intend to step back and be a better listener. I also learned to recognize that discomfort is okay and does not need to be avoided.

I felt the facilitators provided down to earth, safe environment to speak freely

Why?
The more education and honest conversations we have about race the better our resolve to combat the conflicts that arise

I was disappointed that not everyone showed up each week. Some had other things pop up, which is understandable, but it was still disappointing that our group was never full.

Do you have any stories from the learning circle you want to share with the P2PU community?
Nothing comes to mind

About how many people showed up for the first meeting?

About how many people showed up for the second meeting?

Why did you give the course 4 star(s)?
Some of the topics/themes seemed repetitive.

How likely are you to recommend facilitating a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
It’s a great skill to learn, how to facilitate, how to manage group conversations.

course
How To Talk About Race

goal
I would like to grow in my own capacity to talk about race to have more informed, nuanced and compassionate conversations with my colleagues and students.

That the group preferred more conversation over the use of interactive technology.

Two stories: as co-facilitators we were moved that the group wanted to extend the circle if we could, that, at the least, we meet for 2 hours for our last session, and that we meet again weeks from now to check in with one another.
We asked the participants if they would like to invite someone to our last session. At least two participants were planning race-related conversations with their staff. Here is a comment by one of the observers which touched all of us deeply. “Thank you for letting me listen in! So much wisdom and compassion in this room. I’ve got lots of notes and food for thought.”

About how many people showed up for the first meeting?

About how many people showed up for the second meeting?

Why did you give the course 5 star(s)?
People reflected on their own growth in doing this work. Participants felt more confident and brave at the thought of hosting a difficult discussion.

Why?
It’s a great experience and a great way to learn, to find a community, to share, to reflect and to expand one’s own thinking.

course
How To Talk About Race

goal
We hope that participants will gain the confidence to host or join group conversations that they might have once thought too challenging. We also hope that the learning circle gives each participant a stronger sense of community.

Nothing outside the scope of the curriculum

By continuing to participate in programs of this nature and applying these principles to librarianship.

It works best as it can.

Why?
I would be likely to recommend a learning circle as a mode of learning but there were aspects of this particular circle that didn’t work so well.