Fundamentals of Public Speaking (University of Washington)

What recommendations do you have for other facilitators who are using "Fundamentals of Public Speaking"? Consider sharing additional resources you found helpful, activities that worked particularly well, and some reflections on who this course is best suited for. For more information, see this course on P2PU’s course page.

In our learning circle, we used all resources availed. We did not engage additional resources though. Full participation of the learners was mandatory. we also gave credit and critiqued one or two resources that we felt was not driving a point home. As a facilitator, this course is best suited for journalism students, shy high school students and community leaders, aspiring motivational speakers and teachers. I look forward to learning more from fellow facilitators and learners.

Mmmh,Fundamentals of public speaking!my favourite and most popular course in Kenya National Libraries in mount Kenya region.This course requires a good trainer who connects with the learners.It requires a lot of creativity and leadership skills.I have facilitated this course to different groups such as Policemen,Teachers young adults(youths) and students in schools. When facilitating i use different resources including ice breakers to keep the learners engaged and attentive. It is the easiest course to facilitate but also the most difficult if you do not prepare thoroughly.

This course received a rating from a participant!

What did you hope to achieve when you joined this learning circle?
Being a perfect public speaker

To what extent did you achieve this?

Is there anything else that you learned or achieved during the learning circle?
I interacted with others as was learning

Do you feel more confident about what you just learned in Fundamentals of Public Speaking ?

How do you intend to apply what you learned?
To inform others the importance of learning public speaking

How well did the online course work as a learning circle?

Why did you give the course 5 star/stars?
Because i am now confident compearing to my past.

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
It gives one time to know is not the way he thought. He learns different thinks as he interact with others.

Confidemce,courage

Do you feel more confident about what you just learned in Fundamentals of Public Speaking ?

Exposing my ideas more freely to a larlarglarlarge audience

Because i learned alot and it opened new ideas to me

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
Because its a chance to learn something new

This course received a rating from a facilitator!

When you signed up, we asked what you hoped to achieve by facilitating a learning circle, and you wrote “Help the learners gain confidence and improve their public speaking skills”. To what extent did you achieve this?

Did anything about the learning circle surprise you?
Yes

Do you have any stories from the learning circle you want to share with the P2PU community?
Nothing much, but I can say learning circles has given me a wonderful experience in enhancing my TOT skills.

You recorded in your weekly feedback that 30 participant(s) attended the first meeting. Is this correct?
Yes

You recorded in your weekly feedback that 26 participant(s) attended the second meeting. Is this correct?
Yes

You recorded in your weekly feedback that 25 participant(s) attended the last meeting. Is this correct?
Yes

Why did you give the course 5 star(s)?
I had a unique team of youths and women and assessing by their reaction after the course completion, they were happy and satisfied. More so they would love to be trained on another course.

How likely are you to recommend facilitating a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
Learning circles creates a special bond between the facilitator and the participants. It also brings out the best skills out of the trainees since it boosts their self esteem.

Yes

Shared what I had learnt with my fellow youths

Since, I learnt more during online’s. I can tell now the necessity of online’s.

Why?
Perfect

I achieved self confidence and communication skills

I am a business woman and I will use the skills i learnt in marketing my business

It is a skill I lacked to be where I intend to be businesswise

Why?
The class set up encourages everyone to be part of it. One feels at “home”

Yes I am learning . I need more online class .

For living …

Why?
For practice

Did anything about the learning circle surprise you?
Not really surprised but was happy to see the great speaches that the learners gave after going through the learning circle

Do you have any stories from the learning circle you want to share with the P2PU community?
Learning circles have gained popularity Knls-Embu and there is an increase of information science students who are applying for industrial attachment here so that they can gain from the learning circle as well as the attachment

About how many people showed up for the first meeting?

About how many people showed up for the second meeting?

About how many people showed up for the last meeting?

Why did you give the course 4 star(s)?
Because it was not excellent as it was affected by covid-19, but still the learners tried their best and we held it in the library compound not in the library as we did we the previuos in order to have social distance

How likely are you to recommend facilitating a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
I have gained alot of experince and knowledge

Learning circles are becoming popular especially with the University students

About how many people showed up for the first meeting?

About how many people showed up for the second meeting?

About how many people showed up for the last meeting?

Why did you give the course 4 star(s)?
Because almost everything worked well

Why?
Because I enjoyed facilitating and also it has also popularised […] where I work.

course
Fundamentals of Public Speaking

goal
Assist learners to enhance their public speaking skills