Customs of the World: Using Cultural Intelligence to Adapt, Wherever You Are (The Great Courses)

What recommendations do you have for other facilitators who are using "Customs of the World: Using Cultural Intelligence to Adapt, Wherever You Are"? Consider sharing additional resources you found helpful, activities that worked particularly well, and some reflections on who this course is best suited for. For more information, see this course on P2PU’s course page.

This material generated interesting and enthusiastic discussion with many participants reporting shifts towards greater tolerance.

The specific lectures that I used were:

• Developing Cultural Intelligence (CQ)
  • Identity—Individualist versus Collectivist
  • Authority—Low versus High Power Distance
  • Risk—Low versus High Uncertainty Avoidance.
  • Achievement—Cooperative versus Competitive
  • Time—Punctuality versus Relationships
  • Communication—Direct versus Indirect
  • Lifestyle—Being versus Doing
  • Rules—Particularist versus Universalist.
  • Expressiveness—Neutral versus Affective
  • Social Norms—Tight versus Loose
  • Cultural Intelligence for Life

I will follow up with another LC using the lectures that focus on specific cultures (Customs of the World)

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this list of the lectures you used, Julie!

Is following this particular order important to the success of the learning circle? And how’d it go with the 12-week duration? If you did this one again, would you change anything?

The order of lectures could probably be changed but I don’t know why you would want to. The lecturer does regularly refer to earlier and upcoming lectures.

12 lectures is a long commitment, especially over the summer months, but the concepts belong as a group. Incidents of participants missing lectures was quite a bit higher than usual without seriously undermining the course.

I would warn participants that the material becomes quite technical and that they should be prepared to discover prejudices that they didn’t know that they had.