21 Day Racial Equity & Social Justice (YWCA Greater Cleveland)

What recommendations do you have for other facilitators who are using "21 Day Racial Equity & Social Justice"? Consider sharing additional resources you found helpful, activities that worked particularly well, and some reflections on who this course is best suited for. For more information, see this course on P2PU’s course page.

1 Like

@Ulonda_Slaughter has created a facilitation guide for this course: Facilitator Guide (.docx)

For additional context see:

4 Likes

This course received a 3 star rating from a participant!

Is there anything else that you learned or achieved during the learning circle?
I have felt very uncomfortable talking about race because I was brought up that we are not supposed to notice these things. It is still uncomfortable, but less so now.

Do you feel more confident about what you just learned in 21 Day Racial Equity & Social Justice ?

How do you intend to apply what you learned?
As I have said previously, I am not much of a public platform kind of person, but I am definitely better informed so that when a conversation opportunity presents itself. I feel much more prepared to share what I have learned in a way that will help others also see how damaging it is to remain ignorant and silent.

How well did the online course work as a learning circle?

Why did you give the course 3 star/stars?
The pandemic has definitely presented challenges to meeting in person and I certainly am not in a hurry to gather with other groups of people. I rated it three stars because it important to have the opportunity even if it virtual. I also rated it three stars because it is difficult to feel truly comfortable sharing and being vulnerable in a virtual environment unless you already have that sense of trust established. Also, conversation just flows more naturally in person than in a virtual world. That is certainly no reflection on the leaders because I think they both did a good job of initiating and keeping the flow going as much as can be done in a virtual meeting.

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
I am a life long learner and will continue to learn on my own anyway. I benefited greatly from reading and viewing the same material as others in the group and seeing and hearing their perspectives and experiences.

1 Like

This course received a 4 star rating from a participant!

People in group were well informed

Do you feel more confident about what you just learned in 21 Day Racial Equity & Social Justice ?

Speak out

Why did you give the course 4 star/stars?
Complete with references

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
Interesting group

1 Like

This course received a 5 star rating from a participant!

I learned from everyone that participated

In my work

Why did you give the course 5 star/stars?
I thought the frequency of getting together was good, the dialogue was great, the lessons were really great and often allowed you to get deeper or learn something with limited time

Why?
It was a positive experience

1 Like

This course received a 3 star rating from a participant!

The effect of toxic stress. 24/7

Trying to look at things from this different perspective

I thought it might get into some more of our local issues

Why?
It was a good first step

1 Like

I’m motivated to find more learning resources. I learned more about voting rights and systemic racism.

Finding businesses to support and beginning difficult conversations with those who have different views than I do.

I liked the different options for each day and the combination of reading materials and videos.

Why?
I think it increases awareness and knowledge.

course
21 Day Racial Equity & Social Justice

1 Like

That the problem is too complex to ever be completely satisfied

Continue to read and be involved

I loved the involvement of the participants

Why?
It’s an opportunity to expand yourvision

course

1 Like

I greatly appreciated hearing the opinions of the participants in the Learning Circle. Their life experiences provided valuable perspectives that don’t come from articles and videos.

I plan to share the information that was in our Circle document with other people to start better conversations.

The variety of options and the prompts were useful for me personally as well as a starting point for the Circle conversations

Why?
Conversations about systemic racism and it’s cultural influences are necessary for real solutions to happen.

course

1 Like

This course received a 4 star rating from a participant!

Overwhelming data to support inequity toward people of color

Share my truth with more confidence

Why did you give the course 4 star/stars?
Leaders could have guided off-topic comments back to focus

Why?
Variety of forms of information for different learning styles.

course

1 Like

This sounds interesting! I’d love to hear any facilitators’ comments on how it went or what they did to facilitate.

1 Like

This course received a rating from a participant!

Listening to others openly. Advocating for others in ways I was uncomfortable doing so before.

I will continue to listen and be open to others who may face social and/or racial injustices. I will also not be afraid to take a stance to make changes to these injustices.

Everyone was so open and honest. Even on days when I said nothing or had little input, no one was judgmental of me. I still felt that I was participating by actively listening to everyone’s stories, reactions, input and opinions.

Why?
This was a great learning experience and certainly strengthened our community wellness team.

1 Like

share with others in my circles

I really enjoyed the structure/organization and the content, as well as the people in my circle.

Why?
I already have! I think so many workplaces could benefit from this course.

1 Like

there is so much more to learn then what can be discussed in an hour.

it has made me more aware.

there were a varity of articles/ videos each week to discuss.

Why?
a good way to learn more and hear others thoughts and opinions on a subject

1 Like

I feel like I was able to achieve a level of openness and understanding with my peers that i was not expecting.

I plan to use to tools provided and the resources shared during discussion to continue my learning. I also plan to be more aware of what is going on around me, be an advocate, and feel comfortable using my voice to speak out against any injustice i see/experience

I liked having multiple options each week. I even found myself going back to reach/watch the articles i may have skipped over initially

Why?
easy to use, great content, and i valued the discussions that stemmed from the learnings

1 Like

What did you hope to achieve when you joined this learning circle?
Learn more about the causes and effects of racism

To what extent did you achieve this?

It was interesting to hear how these sources made people feel

Correct misinformation, continue to help progressive voters register and vote

Good materials, helpful information, partipants got very involved and comments were thoughtful

Why?
There is so much information available,this gives structure and helps formulate your own views

1 Like

What did you hope to achieve when you joined this learning circle?
To heighten my awareness of my ineffectiveness at being an anti-racist.

To what extent did you achieve this?

Learning experiences of others in the group

Continuing to encourage others to do more.

I felt the syllabus was too defuse

Why?
The issue must stay in the front of our minds

1 Like