The 1619 Project (New York Times)

What recommendations do you have for other facilitators who are using "The 1619 Project"? Consider sharing additional resources you found helpful, activities that worked particularly well, and some reflections on who this course is best suited for. For more information, see this course on P2PU’s course page.

Our colleague @Ulonda_Slaughter developed a facilitation guide for running this as a learning circle.

The Pulitzer Center has also developed a number of (free) curricular resources for teaching the 1619 Project.

For more context, review our resources for activism and anti-racism education.

1 Like

This course received a 5 star rating from a learning circle participant!

What did you hope to achieve when you joined this learning circle?
I hoped to engage with the systemic issues raised by the essays published in 1619.

To what extent did you achieve this?

Is there anything else that you learned or achieved during the learning circle?
It was a very powerful experience to hear the personal stories of other members of the learning circle. It made the need to take actions, personal and political, feel all the more urgent.

Do you feel more confident about what you just learned in The 1619 Project ?

How do you intend to apply what you learned?
I intend to encourage others to engage with this text, participate in similar forums around systemic racism in our country, and bring what I learned into conversation as well as my everyday actions.

How well did the online course work as a learning circle?

Why did you give the course 5 star/stars?
There were many difficult issues touched on and I felt that the course was a safe and open forum for our discussions. Everyone had a chance to reflect on the text, but also branch out. While there was a focus in each session, it was also conducive to bringing in other relevant content or sharing personal experiences.

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
There are not many forums where people with diverse perspectives and experiences can come together and openly discuss the critical issues of race. The 1619 Learning Circle was an important opportunity for me as a white, Jewish woman to hear and process the everyday challenges of Black people in our country.

This course received a 5 star rating from a learning circle participant!

to find different ways to support Black lives and to learn about the history of slavery in America

We developed an intimate space where people could speak openly and honestly.

Have difficult conversations with people about the impact of slavery and the legacy it still holds today. We need to keep this country accountable and hold it to the truth. I can call out people for their problematic or racist remarks and discuss how this ideology has grander negative ramifications.

We had a good mix of sharing about our personal lives/beliefs and discussing the articles. It felt like the conversations were well-rounded.

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
I deeply enjoyed my experience reading the articles, learning from the others in the group, and feeling connected and engaged with the community.

This course received a 5 star review from a participant!

To learn more about African-American history and talk about racism and ways to combat it in this country

Hearing other people’s perspectives and experiences, learning A LOT about myself in the process, deepening my understanding of how deeply systemic racism is in the

Continue to learn more, talk about this group and the Project to other people, be an ally in my everyday life to the best of my ability, continue to work for change in this country

It fulfilled what I hoped it would fulfill, the moderators were great, the time was used well, people were respectful, it changed me!

Why?
For all the reasons I gave this five stars!

This course received a 5 star rating from a participant!

I learned more about the legacy of the American slavery system in aspects of modern American society. The financial sophistication of the institution of slavery was not something I have read about.

I start conversations on topics from the class.

Compelling content. Ideal amount of material for each class.

Why?
It’s a great way to learn!

course
The 1619 Project

This course received a 5 star rating from a facilitator!

Did anything about the learning circle surprise you?
I was surprised by how comfortable it was to discuss these difficult subjects with this group

About how many people showed up for the first meeting?

About how many people showed up for the second meeting?

About how many people showed up for the last meeting?

Why did you give the course 5 star(s)?
I felt this was a really productive learning circle and we all learned a lot from both the readings and discussions with each other. We were able to work collaboratively to determine the direction of the conversations and provided an environment where participants felt comfortable sharing their personal experiences and observations without feeling judged or criticized, which was very helpful in building a more rich conversation, and allowed us to connect with each other in ways we might not have without this opportunity.

How likely are you to recommend facilitating a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
Learning circles provide people with opportunities to rethink how people learn and work together. I believe what made this learning circle so exciting for folks was the collaborative aspects, and because of that it was recommended that the same group continue to meet once a month to continue to further these discussions while looking at new topics. The participants learned a lot (and so did I as facilitator!) and want to continue to learn together.

course
The 1619 Project

goal
To engage in meaningful discussion about selected articles from the 1619 Project in attempts to better understand the relationship between chattel slavery and the building and maintaining of US American institutions.

This course received a rating from a participant

I wanted to read and discuss content to reframe the country’s history by placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of black Americans at the very center of our national narrative.

I learned to appreciate the perspective of others.

I intend to apply what I learned to my daily life and future reading.

The content of the 1619 Project is an excellent framework.

Why?
I think everyone should read and discuss the content.

This course received a rating from a facilitator!

When you signed up, we asked what you hoped to achieve by facilitating a learning circle, and you wrote “This will be my second time facilitating this learning circle. I hope to make some minor improvements in my presentation and become more comfortable in facilitating.”. To what extent did you achieve this?

Did anything about the learning circle surprise you?
Even with a small group we were able to have meaningful discussions.

You recorded in your weekly feedback that 7 participant(s) attended the first meeting. Is this correct?
Yes

You recorded in your weekly feedback that 5 participant(s) attended the second meeting. Is this correct?
Yes

About how many people showed up for the last meeting?

Why did you give the course 4 star(s)?
Trying to decide if it should be less weeks.

How likely are you to recommend facilitating a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
Good learning experience and I learned a lot myself from facilitating the learning circle.

This course received a rating from a participant!

? connecting with community prepared to work for systemic change?

found some people that I hope to be able to count on as allies, learned some new things about the depth and extent of systemic racism in US

this is the hard part. The changes that I see as necessary are pretty far outside of how our system currently functions. Finding the middle ground is hard. Working in institutions that commodify knowledge with a who’s in (credentialed & worthy of access to info) and who’s out (unqualified and not worth investment) is basically counter to the goals of reducing inequality. OK. Today is a rough day so maybe my answer is a little dark…

relieved to even have a space where my knowledge does not seem radical and outlandish. that counts for a lot.

Why?
What a lovely, civic way to build culture and community on a topic! I want to do a learning circle on living with nature next.

To learn and discuss together

I learned more about my colleagues

I hope to listen more and talk less.

The facilitators were so good, and the material was great!

Why?
If it is the right topic, it can be very useful.

Learn more about the 1619 project

Awareness of black history

It was personal. I could see the people in the room.

Why?
It was well facilitated. Content was excellent.

To discuss race, equality and equity.

This learning circle traced inequality, institutional racism, discrimination and oppression back to its origins in slavery.

I am incorporating some of the historical context into a webinar training for RIC security officers as well as referencing the 1619 Project.

I can’t imagine a better way or group to study and discuss Black history

Why?
This Project is not only educational but interactive and engaging. The podcasts are a great addition!

Learn about the 1619 Project.

Yes! I learned about other books to help me continue to learn.

First I will share what I learned with my children. Next with my small group.

Great discussion!

Why?
Helpful and interesting

Good conversation about, and exploration of, The 1619 Project and any other materials or references provided. I wanted to hear from others in a safe space to learn and talk about a painful subject.

I experienced a great connection with the leaders and the participants in the group. I connected to a community in a way that was fulfilling and provided me something to look forward to each week.

I am sharing what I learned with family and friends and in the workplace as part of discussions about racial equity.

Stacy Turner as the leader/facilitator did a great job in engaging discussion, in providing us the source materials and feedback each week and in showing her own interest and commitment to the group. Kenya Sloan supported the effort as well. I applaud the Library for its support of such a way to connect to community and provide a learning experience for all who participated. t

Why?
I had such a good experience.

Connect with other antiracist adult educators, learn U.S. History, expand my knowledge of Black history

This was the first inter-agency PD where I felt like I connected with adult education practitioners who share my values

I’d like to advocate for more multilingual access in our programs. I intend to change our practice of centering Spanish as the main language we translate our program materials to, when a big proportion of our students speak Portuguese as their primary language. Also I am thinking about how we can do better outreach when we have job openings.

Why did you give the course 4 star/stars?
I think there would have been more community building and opportunities for informal conversation and one-on-one connections if it was held in-person.

Why?
It’s the chance to learn about a topic you are interested in with others who are equally interested! It is a non-hierarchical learning space that uses dialogue education principles. I loved it

In collaboration with nearly a dozen facilitators who have run The 1619 Project in learning circles, we have created an updated facilitation guide with blue facilitator tips and a recommended structure for using this course with your community.

This guide can be used in many ways: as inspiration for your own structuring of the material, as an guide you follow for your learning circle, as a collaborative agenda you share with virtual participants. To get your own version, click ”File” and select “Make a Copy” to duplicate it into your own Google Drive.

(This guide is shared under CC BY-SA 4.0 and is free to use, modify, and share.)