Welcome to the School of Open: Introduce yourself!

Please introduce yourself if you’re new to the community!

This space is for discussion of all things related to School of Open, a global community of volunteers focused on providing free education opportunities on the meaning, application, and impact of “openness” in the digital age and its benefit to creative endeavors, education, and research. Volunteers develop and run courses, workshops, and training programs on topics such as Creative Commons licenses, open educational resources, and sharing creative works. The School of Open is coordinated by Creative Commons and P2PU.

Learn more: http://schoolofopen.org

Hello, I am firefighter Thomas. My goal is to introduction young people to the fire service and educate already or future firefighter in courses.

Welcome Thomas! Perhaps you’d like to post a new topic to outline your ideas a bit further and how it might fit into School of Open? A course on fire fighting is awesome, but it might fit better as P2PU course generally. See School of Open Guidelines for what makes a School of Open course: https://p2pu.hackpad.com/School-of-Open-Guidelines

Namaste, I am Mohit Garg studying in Indian Statistical Institute, India. I want to make librarians, library staff literate in to digital world(Digital Literacy )

Welcome Mohit! We have several CC for librarians programs going on at SOO, see http://schoolofopen.p2pu.org/training-programs/.

We’d love to further similar efforts in India as well. Let me know if you might be interested in running a CC for librarians training at your institute (or elsewhere)! We also have Creative Commons affiliates in India if you’re interested in teaming up with any of them! https://wiki.creativecommons.org/India

Yeah sure… I am interested in running CC for librarians training

Awesome! Do you want to ping me at janepark at creativecommons dot org - and we can get the conversation started? :slight_smile:

hmmm…
lets starts it

I’m Jeanette, a teacher. Face to face social studies during the day, online foreign language at night. As an introvert, I prefer online discussions to meetings and seminars. I work best early in the morning, but the rest of my f2f community stays up late. I hope to add more than I take away here.

Welcome Jeanette! Feel free to start a discussion or ask a question on the “open” topic of your choice. :slight_smile:

Greetings Jane and the School of Open Community,
My name is Melisa Allela. I work at the eCampus of Maseno University, Kenya as a Graphic Design, teach/facilitate an online course in Multimedia and Graphics, provide technical support for other online courses and sometimes step in to manage the institutions social media pages. With much appreciation to VLIR-UOS, I’m currently attending an Audio Visual Learning Materials training course in KU Leuven, Belgium and with the recent launch of School of Open Africa, have been considering creating an open course in Media and Learning/Multimedia production in eLearning for course developers.

Cheers!

Welcome Melisa! Your idea sounds awesome. Want to get in touch with me about it, or start a new topic to discuss? janepark at creativecommons dot org

Also, is the eCampus based in Kenya? If so, you might want to get in touch with @simeon who has been leading the high school SOO Kenya initiative. He is based in Nairobi. We also have CC affiliates in Belgium.

Cheers,
Jane

Hi Jane and everyone else in the group!

How are you doing today? On this fine Thursday morning?

I’ve been working on an education innovation project for the last three months. It’s been pretty lonely. Once I stumbled across this resource a few minutes ago I was psyched to find other humans interested in the same stuff as I!

So…what’s next? Is there anything I can do to help the community here? Anything I can do to help the volunteers who give up their time for this cause?

Please let me know!

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Sincerely,

Daniel

@danieldalonzo - welcome, happy to have you. The internet can be something of an empty room sometimes. What is the project you are working on?

1 Like

Welcome @danieldalonzo!

Echoing @dirk - yes, what is the project you’re working on? Would love to learn more and how we can work together.

Most recently School of Open launched School of Open Africa - programs in four countries, see le blog for those updates: http://schoolofopen.p2pu.org/category/news/

Currently we’re re-strategizing around our programs and online courses and planning to redo the website a bit as more of a community support space for volunteers leading F2F programs in their regions, in addition to offering online resources (including static courses). So we’re in a bit of a transitionary state - but looking forward to expanding at the same time!

Cheers,
Jane

1 Like

@dirk & @jane !! hello my friends :slight_smile: I apologize for the delay in response. I began to reply hours ago, but…well, ya know. Here we are.

See below for a screenshot of the first draft splash page. Please talk to me about any and all emotions/reactions you may have. I know how important the draft process is for any type of composition. We can’t make the best possible product without that critique.

I’m not sure how many more times I can hear myself talk to myself in my brain. So please don’t hesitate to be critical.

I’ll also follow up in a few minutes with some backstory.

I have not updated the live site yet - thestartup.university

By the way, is there anyway for us to speak with less friction? Live chat rooms? I’m still learning my way around this place so forgive my ignorance.

I appreciate that you both asked me about the project. Thank you for asking me about it. Means a lot to know someone is listening.

If there’s anything I can help you with please let me know, or if you think there’s a way to collaborate I’m all for it.

Daniel

Thanks for the connection @jane. HI @Melisa. Please email me and perhaps we can meet up and have a chat about School of Open if you’re in Nairobi. simeon at jamlab dot co dot ke

Greetings Jane,

Thanks for welcoming me to the group.

Yes, the eCampus of Maseno University is based in Kisumu, Kenya and delivers flexible, fully-online programmes. Here’s a link to the website http://ecampus.maseno.ac.ke/home.php.

I will indeed get in touch with Simon to discuss this idea. Thank you for the introduction.

Cheers,
Melisa

Hi. My name is Clint Lalonde and I am the Sr. Manager of Open Education at BCcampus in British Columbia, Canada. For the past 2 years, we have been working on an [open textbook project][1] encouraging faculty at universities and colleges in BC to adopt, adapt and create open textbooks.

Welcome @clintlalonde! I have responded to you on other threads, but wanted to welcome you again. :slight_smile: