The American South: Its Stories, Music and Art (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)

What recommendations do you have for other facilitators who are using "The American South: Its Stories, Music and Art"? Consider sharing additional resources you found helpful, activities that worked particularly well, and some reflections on who this course is best suited for. For more information, see this course on P2PU’s course page.

This course received a 4 star rating from a facilitator!

When you signed up, we asked what you hoped to achieve by facilitating a learning circle, and you wrote "I would like learners to see a different aspect of southern culture from the perspective of the artists and musicians of the region, particularly the many contributions from African Americans from the region. ". To what extent did you achieve this?

Did anything about the learning circle surprise you?
By going virtual, I was able to tap into an audience that normally wouldn’t be able to attend in-person learning circles: learners with disabilities and their caregivers.

Do you have any stories from the learning circle you want to share with the P2PU community?
One of my learning circle meetings only had 1 attendee. Although I was frustrated with the low attendance, it gave me and the learner an opportunity to just have a laid back conversation about the class and any other concerns they had about learning circles in general. It was a great opportunity to have those honest conversations that learners are typically too intimidated to speak up about with the facilitator.

About how many people showed up for the first meeting?

About how many people showed up for the second meeting?

About how many people showed up for the last meeting?

How well did the online course work as a learning circle?

Why did you give the course 4 star(s)?
The content was engaging and the instructor was extremely knowledgeable about the subject. The reason I didn’t give it 5 stars is that there was a lot of documentary, archival footage that although interesting, slightly detracted from the main ideas of the topic being covered. It felt like it was more to highlight the work the professor had done (it was his footage since he was also a documentarian) rather than support the material of the class.

How likely are you to recommend facilitating a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
Facilitating is a great way to bring different people together and it’s so rewarding to see them really engage in learning a new topic.