R for Data Science (Hadley Wickham and Garrett Grolemund)

What recommendations do you have for other facilitators who are using "R for Data Science"? Consider sharing additional resources you found helpful, activities that worked particularly well, and some reflections on who this course is best suited for. For more information, see this course on P2PU’s course page.

This course received a rating from a facilitator!

When you signed up, we asked what you hoped to achieve by facilitating a learning circle, and you wrote “I look forward to introducing participants to data science and giving them tools, habits, and the confidence to keep learning on their own. I also hope to improve my data science teaching skills in the process.”. To what extent did you achieve this?

Did anything about the learning circle surprise you?
I was happy to see participants joining from different countries.

About how many people showed up for the first meeting?

About how many people showed up for the second meeting?

About how many people showed up for the last meeting?

How well did the online course work as a learning circle?

Why did you give the course 5 star(s)?
The order in which topics are presented keep participants interested and wanting to learn more. Each new concept is illustrated by well-designed coding examples and exercises, which help to make the learning circle hands-on and interactive.

How likely are you to recommend facilitating a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
I find facilitating learning circles extremely fulfilling as it allows to: 1) improve knowledge of a particular topic, 2) improve teaching skills, 3) experiment with new teaching methods, 4) meet new people from different backgrounds, 5) contribute to building learning communities accessible to everyone.

This course received a rating from a participant!

Is there anything else that you learned or achieved during the learning circle?
I learned the basics of R and how to use the software and how to write code in a more effective way

Do you feel more confident about what you just learned in R for Data Science ?

How do you intend to apply what you learned?
School work and research projects

Why did you give the course 5 star/stars?
I learned from it, the instructor was incredibly patient and open to constructive criticism, I enjoyed that the learning circle was small (I was expecting a group of around 25 people) because it was easier to keep up

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
It´s a way to learn about a topic in a short amount of time. It is also convenient having small learning circles in order to achieve a higher level of feedback

What did you hope to achieve when you joined this learning circle?
I hoped to get an introduction and basic skills for the R program

To what extent did you achieve this?

Creating graphs with layered aesthetics and filtering data using dplyr functions

I would need to continue to the next session and learn more to use the skills I have learned so far

The course was well organized and paced well. Sebastien often asked for feedback and answered questions well.

How likely are you to recommend participating in a learning circle to a friend or colleague?

Why?
I have a coworker who is interested in bioinformatics and this program would be a good introduction for him

What did you hope to achieve when you joined this learning circle?
Deepened understanding of R and meeting new people

To what extent did you achieve this?

Debugging techniques and how to explain code to others

Coursework, research, career

The teacher is amazing. Optimized for success.

Why?
The teacher is incredibly good at teaching. Conscientious, knows his stuff, kind, supportive, clear, adaptive. He clearly knows how to teach better than professors I’ve had. I don’t feel stupid!