Intro to Self Care (Deborah Nam-Krane)

What recommendations do you have for other facilitators who are using "Intro to Self Care"? Consider sharing additional resources you found helpful, activities that worked particularly well, and some reflections on who this course is best suited for. For more information, see this course on P2PU’s course page.

Hi there! Here are the topics in the course: Relaxation Response, the Importance of Intention, Sleep, Meditation, Self-Massage, Movement, Deep Relaxation, and Healthy Social Connections. We also have the Eight Pillars of Joy sprinkled throughout, as well as “breakouts” where you can talk about Journaling, Healthy Diet, Healthy Hobbies, Nature, and Intellectual Stimulation.

As I said in another thread, this course is designed for people who want to feel better, not for people who are trying to “improve” themselves in some way. Yes, we include topics on exercise and healthy eating, but not so you can look better or lose weight, but because those things can make you feel better.

This learning circle is very modular, so facilitators and learning communities should feel free to pick and choose what they want to spend time on. I think it would be hard to do everything in less than 7 sessions of 90 minutes each, so if you wanted to cover every topic, you should plan for that much time. But again, feel good about picking and choosing whichever topics work for you, though I would suggest keeping The Relaxation Response regardless.

Finally, this learning circle was designed to include lots of conversation but no “homework”. Feel free to add out of class assignments – go through the relevant reference material on the Sources page – but please make sure you give people time to discuss their thoughts regardless.

Please let us know how it goes!

3 Likes

I’m really looking forward to seeing how this works out with facilitators. I think it’s a great course, but then again, I helped put it together, so I may be a little biased. lol.

2 Likes